THiRTy-TwO

carmen - lana del rey

day 3
"God you look horrible." A voice echos around me as I just groan in response, my head moving to turn away from the person who had entered only to be met with a sigh. "Come on Ara, get up."

"I don't want to." I feel a hand touch my back gently moving in circular motions as if to be comforting.

"You slept through breakfast. And lunch. Now we're at dinner and you will join us." Eli says calmly and rather patiently. I hug my arms around me and stubbornly shake my head in denial.

"I don't want to see anyone." It was true. There was already one too many people in here.

"What if it was just us? Then would you?" He begins petting my hair slowly, "You need to eat."

I shove my face into the pillow wishing I could just scream with my entire being into it. But I couldn't, I'd look insane. Pushing with my hands I sit up giving Eli a glare. "Wow, you're so caring." I respond with sarcasm.

"Only for the right people." He places a hand on my back leading the both of us out of the dense room.

"Mm, I feel so special." I roll my eyes and walk ahead of him to the stairs that had red carpet lined down it. The house was eerily quiet for it being in the afternoon. Not even a bird chirping or cars driving by could be heard. I could feel my stomach twisting itself as we got closer to the familiar dining room.

I pull the door open holding it for him as he slips by his expensive cologne slapping me in the face. Following close behind him I take a sit in one of the chairs that was next to his as he sat at the head of the table just like before.

When we had taken our seats the food was already set out with the steam coming off of it indicating it had just been made not that long ago. Tonight's speciality being steak and a baked potato with a side of varied vegetables.

He was the first to make conversation, diving straight into the elephant that occupied the room.

"What happened, mouse?" He tilts his head at me while holding a fork with a piece of meat on it. Slowly biting down on it I can't help but look away to the dark corner where she stood, staring. Waiting. Waiting for something to happen.

"He said I shouldn't have happened." I push the broccoli around the plate with a fork, wrinkling my nose at the small vegetable. "That we don't work."

"He said that?" He raises an eyebrow but I know he was happy on the inside. I could just tell.

I nod my head in response looking up to meet his eyes staring down at me.

"Well what are you going to do about that Mouse?"

"What do you mean? I can't change his mind." I stab a piece of the steak with my fork taking a small bite.

He grins at me with a wicked smile as I sit there waiting for him to continue on with whatever deranged plan he has.

"We are partners, no?" I nod my head slowly waiting for him to continue on. His hand itches towards mine, my eyes following every move of it. Flickering between his hand and his face I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion to where this was going.