Chapter Twenty-Five - The Brewing Storm

Start from the beginning

"That dress deserves a class of its own," I said, interrupting their debate on whether the dress should be considered haute couture. "I hereby coin the term farmhouse spinster chic."

That sent them into shrieks of laughter.

After that, I reluctantly them crying-laughing over their designs for spinster chic, each more garish and hideous than the last, and made my way to the entrance hall where the members of the student councils were gathered.

*

Last year, I had been too early. This year, I made sure to be half an hour later.

So I was last to arrive in the room. No one looked up as I entered quietly. Everyone was gathered around the fireplace. I caught a glimpse of Edmund talking to Hermione and her partner, Patrick. And Adrian was leaning against the fireplace, elbow on the mantelpiece, head on hand. His back was to me and he was engrossed in conversation with someone I couldn't see. 

As I moved nearer, it wasn't hard to see why.

Irene Moriarty stood tall and commanding dressed in a long strapless gradient gown. There was a small square cut in the middle of the neckline. The bodice was black but flowed into different shades of purple at the skirt before fading to a pale blue at the hem. When she moved, the gown flowed like a fluid current of colours.

I looked past her.

Standing opposite and equally impressive was Ria Palmers in a blood red gown with shimmering bead detailing down the front of the bodice and lining the long flowing skirt. The cut of the gown was very simple but Ria looked regal, with her head held high, her shiny blonde hair parted to one side and pulled back tightly in a bun at the back of her head, not a strand out of place.

The firelight fell on her, making it seem as if she was a vivid moving flame herself.

I almost felt intimidated and glanced down at my gown to check that I was not underdressed. It was simple with a sheer white lace bodice, a thin white sash and layers of chiffon gathered for the skirt.

A little bit plain, I suppose, but sufficiently appropriate. I took a step forward.

Edmund glanced over.

He broke into a warm reassuring smile.

"Lena, you're here," he said, holding out his hand. I took it and he pulled me forwards.

Everyone looked over. Adrian turned around.

"I was beginning to think you had abandoned me," Edmund said.

"Abandon you? Never!" I replied in mock horror, putting a hand on my chest. "That would be a travesty of heinous proportions."

Edmund only smiled and kept looking at me.

I touched my hair self-consciously. My hair had been parted to one side and then swept up in a messy bun. Did any strands fall out?

"Is my hair out of place?" I asked. "It wouldn't curl properly this afternoon."

Edmund shook his head. "Looks good to me."

Adrian glanced over and nodded briefly before resuming his position and continued talking to Irene.

Hey, he could have said hi.

Irene looked over too; her eyes flickered up and down as if x-raying my outfit and then, she too, turned her back on me and wrapped her arm around Adrian's.

Ria and Secger each gave me a curt nod and continued talking to some members of the middle student council.

Gee, what a warm welcome.