011. ꕥ Negotiations

It took a while and a lot of explaining, but after just about two short hours, I had finally informed Callan about everything to do with the worms; as far as I knew, that was. He didn't want to realize that this was something Octavia had come to — much like me. The former Azgeda warrior had been by Octavia's side for six long years, seeing everything she had done, from the best decisions to the more suspecting ones. Callan was by her side, and I just don't think he wanted to believe that the Blake girl had succumbed to this demonic strategy to win the war.

Something I had come to discover was how much Callan had changed since I had met him that day when the Grounder army had been stationed outside Mount Weathers' door. I knew Callan had changed — and for the better, might I add — I just hadn't fully learned that when it came to certain aspects, he was a completely different person.

This war, for example — six years ago, when Callan was with Azgeda, he would've done anything for his people, and I mean anything. It was proven numerous times when he threatened my life and outed Echo because it would've meant the end of his people. Whatever he was asked to do, no matter how morally questioning, Callan never refused, always did what he was told, and went along with whatever outlandish plan he would be partaking in. Now, however, I knew that wasn't the case, and I like to think Ethan and I were to thank for that. He wasn't thinking with just his orders in mind; he thought about issues rationally, drastically different from the man six years ago.

That was why I knew even though in the back of his mind he thought it might be a good strategy for Wonkru to win the war, he considered the consequences it would have and the destruction it could cause. This led to Callan and I coming to the same consensus: those worms could not be released into the valley, even if it would mean that Wonkru achieved victory in the war.

"I have to go talk to Octavia. See what changed." Callan said, standing hastily from where he had been sitting on his bed after my long hours of explaining.

"No." I refused, reaching out my hand to grab his as he attempted to walk past me, successfully stopping him in his travels and pulling him back to face my direction. "I will. You have been with Octavia for six years, but I know her. Just let me talk to her. Convince her that using the worms is the worst plan possible."

"It's not just the worst plan possible, Jo. It's the deadliest plan possible. Everyone in that valley will die if she does this. Including the people we know." Callan expressed through a sigh, and I couldn't help but internally smile at how Callan thoroughly processed this plan.

"Yeah. I know." I nodded solemnly. "I'll... try and reason with Octavia, maybe. Give her another idea on how to win this war."

"Jo, I hate to say it, but this is the best way to win the war. It's not the right way, but it is the best way. Without this, Wonkru will all die. We don't have the firepower." He let out quietly.

And there was our predicament. If we didn't have something to weaken the enemy or disarm them of their superior weaponry, Wonkru, I knew, was destined to lose. But even with that revelation, I wouldn't allow for the worms to be the way to gaining an advantage over the prisoners. John was in the valley, his life being threatened by the people who were supposed to be on the same side as him — Emori and Raven, too. My brother was not going to die because of these worms — I would sacrifice my life before I allowed that to happen.

"Then... then..." I shook my head, glancing up to Callan when no solutions immediately came to mind. "I don't know. But what I do know is I won't succumb my brother to the same fate as Obika. That's not gonna happen."