009. ꕥ Searching For Redemption

Complicated was the absolute perfect word to describe my current life, with a multitude of things happening that made the word 'complicated' quite fitting.

There was the impending threat of the prisoners and their missiles that could kill us all in a second looming over our heads, all the politics of Wonkru with the defectors and Diyoza's surprising but honestly gracious gesture of sending crates of food, real food, trying to maintain my position with Octavia in order to get my family to Shallow Valley — where my brother and Emori so happen to be running about in the forest with a shock collar around the former's neck, as well as Octavia's strategies seeming to grow increasingly questionable with the recent actions she has taken by burning the food Diyoza gave us.

And let's not forget the fact that Bellamy frickin' Blake's alive and well after abandoning me and my unborn child here by locking us up in the bunker, leaving us and then me here for six long and devastating years. Only adding to that fact that he's involved with Echo of all people and defending her like she should be here and not six feet under. We also can't dismiss the utmost complex situation that includes Bellamy constantly asking about the deceased child he had left behind, who he didn't know was deceased.

If all that wasn't complicated enough for my life, Callan had just informed me of the new plan to weaken our enemy and gain an advantage when we would inevitably attack.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Can you repeat what you said?" I asked quietly to Callan.

Not too far away, Ethan was asleep on his bed, the book he was reading sitting open against his chest, the pages split where he left off. It was later in the night, just after Callan had returned from where he had stood beside Cooper, shooting defectors that tried to make it to the prisoners' transport ship. Since I spent the rest of the day with Ethan after setting Monty up on the computer, Callan had to inform me about what had happened with the defectors. He told me that Monty was actually not able to blind the eye from here; therefore, someone had to pose as a defector with a flash drive, carrying the ability to make it so the prisoners weren't able to see us when we would march on the valley — without that, we would undoubtedly lose this war; everyone knew that.

I was following along with what Callan was saying until he informed me who it was posing as a defector, and it was safe to say that I was shocked beyond belief.

Callan looked to me tentatively as he repeated the words, pausing between each one, "Echo is spying for Octavia."

"So she's the one with the flash drive trying to get it to Raven so she can blind the eye?" I got clarification that was indeed correct from Callan when he nodded his head slowly, just waiting for me to blow up because he knew I would, and, huge surprise, he was right. "Are you insane?"

Even though my words were whisper-shouted and spoken through clenched teeth, Callan shushed me quite loudly, glancing back at Ethan to make sure the boy was still asleep, which he was, the book on his chest moving up and down with his breaths. I would find it rather cute had it not been for what Callan disclosed.

"Listen, listen, listen." The former Azgeda warrior hushed. "Octavia was the one to send her. At first, she had Echo spying to bring the defectors' names to her, but now..."

"But now she sent her on a mission where us getting to the valley relies on Echo. The girl who has betrayed everyone she has ever met." I concluded for Callan, who just sighed in response.

"I think Echo will get this done." He admitted merely, my face scrunching in thought at his words. "She'll blind the eye."

"That's what Octavia wanted to talk to you about, right?" I queried, although I was sure I knew the answer already. "She wanted to know your opinion on Echo."