"Let me just talk to you for a second."

"We have nothing to talk about, and I'm really not trying to argue with you. Just get out, please." I picked up my phone and hoped she would leave.

Instead, she came and sat on my bed.

I scoffed and turned my back to her.

"Why do you act this way toward me?"

I turned around and looked at her like she was crazy. "Think about that question and get back to me. Think about it outside though, not in here." I can't believe she's even asking me that. I turned back around and continued scrolling on my phone.

"It's not like I cheated on you." She said nonchalantly.

I paused at what she said and felt my blood start to boil. It felt like a punch to the gut to hear that. "It's not like you cheated? Really, Janet?"

"I didn't mean it like that Toni." She tried to touch my leg, but I pulled away and closed my eyes.

My eyes started to water, but I wasn't going to let her see that. "Get out of my house." I said in a shakey voice.

I didn't open my eyes, but I finally felt her get out of the bed, then the door closed. When I opened my eyes, tears fell from my face, and I buried my face in the blankets.

Why does she do this to me? I never let her see me cry because I don't want her to feel like she has any power over me, but she has to know that what she's doing makes me feel worse and not better. We've never really had a conversation about what happened because either I blow up or she does. We can never get our point across. That's why I don't like talking about it anymore. Nothing will ever be resolved.

I heard another knock on the door and quickly wiped my face before looking up.

It was Elijah this time, and I let out a sigh of relief.

"You alright, mom?" He asked, walking to my bedside.

I nodded and tried to keep my tears in. He looked me in the eyes and sensed I wasn't, so he came to hug me. Tears fell down my cheeks, and I tried to stop them. I don't like crying in front of anyone, let alone my kid.

Elijah's almost 18, so he knows a lot about what's happening in me and Janet's relationship. That's what hurts me the most about our split. It's why I tried my hardest to stay, but I found that staying only made it worse for them because me and Janet would always argue.

He tells me it doesn't make him sad or upset what's happening between us, but that doesn't take away the guilt. After all, I am the one who left Janet, so I'm the one responsible for their broken home.

Jayla, of course, is only a few months old, and doesn't understand anything going on. When she gets older, I worry about how she's going to feel about all of this. Having to split up time with her parents.

It's all just a lot.

"I'm alright Jah," I assured him.

He pulled back and sat on my bed. "It's not really my business, but you two should really talk. I know she acts nonchalant and a bit immature at times."

I scoffed. "Does she?" I said sarcastically.

He giggled. "She's hurt just as much as you are, and she misses you. She asks about you all the time, and instead of me answering, I think you should." He said seriously.

I wiped the tears off my face and sighed. "Have fun." I said disregarding what he said.

"Mom-"

"I heard you, E."

He nodded and stood up from the bed. "Alright. I love you," he leaned down and I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

As he turned to walk away, he stopped, and I knew he was going to say something crazy.
"You goin give her a birthday present in a few days?" He asked from the door frame.

"Boy go on before you get left."

He laughed and walked out, shutting the door behind him.

I thought about what he said. Janet misses me. She's hurting as much as I am. That can't be true because if it were, she wouldn't do the things she does.

Truly, it doesn't matter anyway. That ship has sailed and it's not turning back.