If Reema went away, Amani's existence would bore itself to death.

Auntie was sitting in the living room, humming to herself while wrapping grape leaves around the meat and rice stuffing she'd prepared the day before. The large pot beside her was nearly filled to its brim when the girl stepped in. "Ah, you're back so soon?"

"We've been out for nearly six hours."

"Yes, very quick indeed," Auntie nodded, placing another expertly wrapped roll into the perfected flower shape she'd created with all the others in the pot. "Did you have fun?"

Amani shrugged. "Do you want me to help?"

Her aunt shook her head. "I only have a few more before I am done. You seem tired. Why don't you rest while I cook dinner? We will eat some waraq enab from these but the other two pots go to your uncle for the wedding."

"Other two?" Amani nearly collapsed. "That is the third?"

Auntie nodded. "Yes, I left the smallest one for our family."

"Smallest one...," she whispered, turning away in a mild form of shell shock. "I need to lay down."

The long dress she was wearing offered too much of a hassle to take off so Amani dropped onto her bed with her clothes still on. She sighed, feeling every muscle in her back relax as she sunk into the mattress. Like a cat, Amani reached her arms above her head and curled her back in a temporarily deafening stretch. A long yawn bellowed from her wide mouth.

She turned onto her side and caught sight of the bird chirping from her balcony's railing. It hopped on its small feet, turning to inspect either side of the street as if it was calling out to a friend it had left behind. Amani remained quiet and watched the unaware bird until it fluttered its wings and took flight.

A knock came from her door.

"Have you fallen asleep?" Auntie asked.

"No, I'm just resting," Amani turned around to see her aunt step into the room. She'd washed her hands but her hair was still wrapped in the unusual contraption standing on her head. "Do you need help?"

Auntie sucked her teeth to dismiss the girl. "There is something I wanted to speak to you about."

Amani cringed. "Uh oh."

"You have a marriage proposal."

"No, thank you," Amani turned back over. Her rejection was usually the end of the conversation each time, but her aunt remained at her side even after she'd turned away.

She was silent, but the uncertainty within Auntie was so strong its presence spoke independently of her words. Amani sighed and closed her eyes, wondering if she'd be able to sleep during the day for the first time in her life because she'd woken up so early. "Amani," she began to speak then hesitated in search of her words.

"Auntie, I'm not interested," Amani replied, stuffing her hands beneath the pillow her head rested upon. She let her eyes slip to a close, welcoming the feeling of peace. "Baba's thinking about taking me out of this place anyway. Hopefully this will be the last of its kind and I'll get out of here unscathed by any potential marriages."

Her aunt nodded. "I understand that you are not here to be married but I do not think you should reject all of them without even the slightest consideration. It would not be fair to the boy."

"Life isn't fair. Look at me now," she mumbled.

"Just think about it. I also would not have been interested if it was anybody else, but Um Muhsinis a-."

All the exhaustion slipped from her body when her eyes flew open at the name. Amani's craned her head to look up at her aunt. "Um Muhsin?" She repeated cautiously and sat up in the bed, scooting herself to sit directly in front of her aunt. "Auntie," Amani began. "Who exactly is this marriage proposal coming from?"