1

I sit in my car, taking in a deep breath. I've been dreading this moment since I agreed to do it. I never wanted to do this, but my family needs the money.

I pull my black hoodie over my body, draping the mask strings over my ears to cover my face. I put on a baseball cap, making sure my features are hidden.

I open the door, greeted by silence—a rarity in my life for the past five years.

"Roxanne," a woman whisper-shouts to me, peeking her head out of the building's door and scanning the surroundings.

I quickly walk over and ascend the three wide steps to the door.

Stepping inside, I feel the cool breeze. After shutting the door, the woman closes the long drapes, ensuring all the windows are covered.

"I'm Layla," she introduces herself, holding her hand.

"Roxanne," I reply, shaking her hand.

"Thank you for coming in. I appreciate it. We're gonna have you go through everything. We'll be taping what you say, but you won't be recorded, so after this, you can go back to your life with no extra press," Layla explains, acknowledging my earlier request.

"Is there somewhere I can put this?" I ask politely, referring to my hoodie.

"Yeah! Here, let me—" She pauses, taking my hoodie off and hanging it on a hook.

I remove my hat, fix my blonde hair, and remove my mask, placing my items beside me on the small table.

"You look different," Layla points out.

"Yeah, the press got too much, and I had to protect my—" I start explaining but get cut off.

"I get it. You're fine. It's just surprising," she nods.

She turns around, leading the way to the very back of the spacious building.

"Follow me," she calls out, and I hurry to catch up.

We walk to the back, and I hear commotion as we get closer. My heart races, and I feel parts of my body coated in sweat at the noise.

Entering the room, I hear a familiar voice—Seth.

"She's here," Layla announces.

"Hi," I wave nervously.

There are four people in the room—Seth, a young woman, and a man with headphones on, testing equipment.

"Hi, Roxanne!" the cheery young woman smiles, hurrying towards me with her arms outstretched.

Her warm body pushes against mine, and our bodies smash against each other comfortably while her arms rest around my upper back.

She lets go, backing up, "I'm Annie," she grins, holding her hand out.

"Annie is going to be interviewing you today," Layla explains.

"Obviously, you know Seth, or at least I would hope so. Over there is Jake. He'll be in the room recording."

"Ok," I nod.

"Let's get started; we don't want to waste any time," Annie says with a breathy laugh.

She arranges two chairs—one at the head of a table and the other across on the side. She moves the microphones to each chair, wires connecting to a small box.

"I'll be in the next room if you need me," Layla nods, taking Seth out and leaving.

A pit grows in my stomach as my mind floods with regret. I feel like I'm betraying them, but I need the money for Ellie.

"Are you ready?" Annie asks softly, reaching out to put her hand on mine.

"Yeah," I nod, telling myself this is for Ellie.

"Where do you want me to start?"

"Just tell me about everything up to the tour."

"Right," I take a deep breath.

"It all started when I was walking through Vegas."

A/N: AHHHH AND JUST LIKE THAT WE HAVE FINISHED CHAPTER 1, I'M SO EXCITED TO SHARE THIS STORY GOMGFGIFHGF