Chapter 53: Eat or forever hold your peas!

Start from the beginning

"Mouse, eat the soup. This will help you get better"

"No. I told you I am fine." Maxine said, shaking her head.

"When will my mates come? I want to find them"

Her response made me quiet. Whenever she asked me that I didn't want to answer. I knew it had been a whole season since the war. I heard her question all bunch of times during the past season of the war and her mates. For some reason it made me irritated, hearing that she hasn't given up on those mates of hers.

She just needs more time..

She needs to stay with me..

"Just shut up and eat your soup. I told you not to bring that up anymore"

She became quiet right after. I saw her caress her spousal mark on her left shoulder which was Caius' mark. The only noise I heard in the den were her cubs babbling. Seeing her droop her head down made me hurt inside. I never have experienced this before with any female. But my heart ached seeing her gloomy. It aches more when seeing tears appear.

I hate seeing her sad about something irritating like those fools. Maxine used to be so much happier back then. With her bright smile and sweet giggles in the air.

Right now it feels like that is gone. Lately I have been hearing her cries at night as she called out their mates names. Hearing her mate's name only irritated me more. She just needs more time to heal. Like a distraction away from her misery.

The important thing now is that she has me to rely on.

Only me that is on her side.

Suddenly, I felt a small light tap on my feet. I looked down on the stone floor and saw Mable, the other female cub. Mable sat on the floor with her big orange eyes looking right at me. She had her small chubby hands extended up grabbing the air, wanting to be held. On the side of her body she had her favorite blanket.

Maxine placed Reha back on the pillow and grabbed Mable once she started crying. I cooed at her with small words and she looked at me with big wide eyes. With Mabel in Maxine's arms her small cub stomach growled feeling hungry. The chubby arms began tugging her mother's clothing down. Babbling random words out in the air. Her stomach growling made her body wiggle, feeling upset.

Shortly after a while, Mabel calmed down once Maxine fed her. Her chubby hands grabbed Maxine's breasts. Her orange eyes slowly blinked a few times during feeding. I extended my hand and landed on top of Mabel's head as I brushed her short hair.

Mabel's eyes that were getting drowsy were wide awake. Her orange eyes turned to continue to suckle milk. I smiled when she extended her other hand. She gave light slaps a few times but it made me chuckle nonetheless.

A couple of minutes passed and I ended up helping soothe the crying cubs. All four cubs went back to sleep bundled up together on the soft hay bed.

(TIME PASSED)

By then it became sunset. I left the den out to hunt for meal time. In my tiger form I ran in search of prey. I ran and in the distance I saw a buffalo in the great plains. There were herds gathered around the large river that extended upstream to the beast city.

I peered under a bush waiting for one certain buffalo to wander away from the herd. When the buffalo finally wandered far from the herb I instantly took this chance and leaped. I ran quickly, soon ending its life when my teeth dug deeply into its neck.

The other buffalos in the herd felt my presence and they all ran the other direction. Leaving me with my prey to take back home.

On my way home my head instinctively turned. I peered my eyes around my surroundings when I felt a faint presence nearby. Didn't know who it was but I was on alert as I closely observed every corner and hiding spot.