Chapter Twenty-Two

While she waited for Derek to return, Celia stared down at the huge bed and smiled. She and Selig had definitely destroyed it but good. The fitted sheet was wrinkled from sleep and from where Selig gripped it when they made love that second time.

Made love. For the first time in her life, that's exactly what it was. It was fun, it felt amazing, but it was also so much more than that. One night stands were never her thing. She had to feel something for a guy before she slept with him, which was probably one of the reasons why so many of her relationships fizzled out. The guys she dated were interested only in getting her in bed, while she wanted more than that.

But with Selig, it was different. Everything about it was different. He watched her, he actually looked into her eyes as he made love to her, and she lost herself in him each time. There was no self-consciousness, no awkwardness, no feeling as if he was looking for flaws. When he whispered, "My beautiful girl," as he arched deep inside her, she knew he meant it and for the first time in a long time, she felt just as beautiful as he said.

And he was hers now. Finally. She glanced down at the beautiful ring on her finger, which sparkled brilliantly with the slightest movement.

He was hers.

She smoothed the top sheet and blanket, then drew the comforter up. And after she finished with the pillows, she made her way down the corridor toward her chambers. A few minutes later, a soft knock came at the door and Derek called, "Miss Baker, if you are ready?"

She opened the door. "I just finished what I was doing. How did you know that?"

He offered up a serene smile. "Because that is my job, my lady."

"I'm not a lady. I'm just Celia. You don't even have to call me Miss Baker."

Derek gestured for her to come along. "I could never be so disrespectful to Prince Selig's lady."

Prince Selig's lady. She liked how that sounded. Without thinking, she tucked her arm through Derek's. "Tell me, what was he like when he was here? As a little boy?"

Derek looked down at her hand, resting in the crook of his elbow, and then up at her. "He was an imp. As much of a handful as his father was. He liked to play tricks on Tyra and Eir, hide things on them, rearrange the infirmary. He liked to jump his pony, Cap, whether he had permission or not. And when he was bored enough, he made it snow."

Celia smiled. "I can so see him doing all those things."

"He also took it upon himself to play with Princess Aislinn until she was old enough to make friends of her own. And when His Highness was believed to be dead, he was remarkably stoic for such a little boy."

"When was this?"

"Oh, I think he was about five or so. It was all a ruse, in order to retrieve a valuable artifact from Thanos, but Queen McKenna, Prince Selig, and Princess Aislinn all believed Loki to be dead."

"And what about Nicky and Kyra-ah, I mean, Prince Nicholas and Princess Kyra?"

"They were but infants at the time and have no memory of it." Derek's voice softened. "It was a trying time for the Queen and the older children, though. Much like the time Prince Selig was kidnapped."

"What?" She stopped in her tracks and stared at Derek. "He was kidnapped?"

Derek nodded solemnly as they rounded a corner. "Oh, yes. By a horrible man named Grant Ward. He wanted His Highness and the Tesseract and figured he would get both by kidnapping the prince."

She had no idea who Thanos and had only the most basic knowledge of what a Tesseract was, having learned it in school when they covered the Battle of New York. Selig never mentioned either. "He never told me about any of this."