Chapter Twenty

Butterflies paddled her insides as she slid her hand into his and let him guide her down past her room, around a corner, to a set of closed doors. He smiled down at her. "Close your eyes."

"Selig, really?"

"Come on, Ce. Humor me."

She sighed, but did as she was told. "Okay. You win. They're closed."

He swept her up into his arms, her belly whooshing as he did so, and she smiled as she draped her arms about his neck. "Why can't I look?"

"Because I said so. Now hush or I'll blindfold you."

"Sel, this is your room, not the Batcave. It's not like it's a secret, is it?"

"Don't push me, woman."

"Woman?"

The doors opened noiselessly. She knew they were open because he moved forward and then she heard the soft click of them shutting behind them. Now the butterflies picked up their pace. She was dying to know what his room looked like. His room in his parents' house was usually fairly neat-he was a lot neater than she'd ever be. And when he was little, McKenna decorated it with Disney. As they grew older, posters of women and cars replaced the Disney characters.

But now he was an adult and she was curious to know what his tastes were. He set her on her feet and slid his arms about her waist, drawing her back to his chest as he said, "Open your eyes, sweetheart."

She did and let out a low whistle. "Damn, Selig... this makes my bedroom at home look like a slum."

He laughed softly, kissing the top of her head. "It's not much, but it's home."

"Yeah, right." She gazed at the immense chambers. They were at least twice the size of the one she'd been given in the palace, and done in black and silver. Overhead, instead of a ceiling, she saw the night sky, spattered with stars. As she gazed upward, one shot across the ceiling, just as it would a real sky.

"Did you do that?"

"My father did it when I was a kid. I like it so I keep it. I can change it, if you want." As he spoke, he swished his fingers and the sky morphed into an ocean, complete with brightly colored fish swimming by. She could actually hear the rush of the water and when a great white shark silently cruised by, she instinctively backed into Selig.

"No. I like the stars."

He flicked his hand again and the stars returned. Another shooting star streaked across and she sighed. "That's amazing." She peered at him over her shoulder. "I've missed watching you do magic, Sel."

He smiled at her. "I've missed doing it, period." He flicked his fingers and three more Seligs appeared, each dressed in formal armor, their smiles promising all sorts of wicked delights. "Want to have a foursome?"

"Me and three of you?" She smiled as she tapped her finger against her lips. "Could be interesting."

"Touch one."

"What?"

"Go on."

She moved away from him and pressed her hand against one of the Seligs' chests. He vanished in an aura of silver mist and her hand went right through him, tingling but otherwise untouched. "Well, there goes that idea, I guess."

He grinned, waving his hand to make the other two Seligs disappear. "So, I'm not enough for you, huh?"

"Selig, you are plenty for anyone." She turned to him. "Trust me."

He didn't say anything, but frowned at her. Tilting her head to the side, she said, "What's the matter? That was a compliment."

"Oh, I know. I was just thinking, you look very pretty in that dress, but I bet you'd look good in lingerie." He gave a flick of his left hand.