Transactions

"Dad, stop buying me stuff! We don't have that much money!" I took my dad's card out of his hand and walked him out of the store.

"Princess, I want you to be happy!" I grabbed his arm and sighed.

"I am, I don't need those things when I have you" We got into his car and started heading for home. Home really wasn't much besides a two bedroom, one bathroom house that only had one piece of furniture and barely any food in the fridge. It's not the house I grew up in, but it was a roof over my head and I knew to be grateful for it.

Life wasn't always like this though, I lived in a beautiful house with a healthy family. Our family wasn't rich or popular, but I say we had it pretty good. Better than now at least. My mother and sister got hit by a drunk driver while coming home from my sister's doctor appointment and the funeral charges hit my dad's wallet pretty hard. He ran to drugs to help his grieving and I still feel bad for him. He still has a good paying job, which landed us this house. He won't let me get a job to help him with the bills or at least grocery shopping. His excuse is "I've been through enough and don't need to worry about the family again", but I feel like he's being overprotective because he couldn't protect mom and sis.

Dad would never bring the drugs home or do them around me, but I know he does them and he can tell that I know. I don't bring it up because I don't want him feeling like a disappointment. He is doing the best he can do to help us get back on our feet and I'll always be thankful for that. I mean, he could've turned to drugs and quit his job. We could be living on the streets begging for money, but he's been working hard for us. For me. I cook every night and stay home to clean and cook, I'm trying to find ways to be more helpful but he's too protective. I guess I can see where he is coming from, he lost two of his loved ones and can't lose his last one. But I'll try my best just like he does.

We stopped by the cemetery to see mom and Gracie like usual. We go almost every day or whenever we go into town. We sit there and talk to them like we're having a conversation over dinner on Friday before movie night. We rarely have those anymore though.

On our way back home, we stopped and got some vegetables for tonight's dinner. I felt someone bump into me and the guy quickly apologized. I just smiled and waved it off. I headed towards the cashiers and the guy got there at the same time as me. He offered for me to go first, so I did. I walked out to dad's car and hopped in. I tossed the bag in the back and we were on our way to the house.

"You still haven't told me what was for dinner yet" I shrugged and looked out the window.

"I told you, papa! It's a surprise!" He shook his head as we pulled into the driveway.

"Meals should not be surprises! Me and my belly don't like surprises!" I laughed as we walked up the stairs and into the living room.

"Don't worry, it'll be done soon!" He kissed my forehead before going upstairs to take a shower and I headed to the kitchen. I was making our favorite simple meal: steak, mashed potatoes, green beans, and asparagus. I hurried to set the table, so he wouldn't have to like he usually does. He's always wanting to help me, but he does enough for me and him. I want to help him out in some way other than cleaning. I heard him coming down the stairs as I was covering our plates.

"It smells delicious!" His stomach growled loud and we laughed.

"Have a seat, I got one more thing to get" I headed back to the kitchen to get some wine I found in the store. It was mom's favorite and I knew it would be a good surprise. I poured him a glass as he was eating.

"I'm surprised you got alcohol, you rarely drink" I smiled as I poured myself some and straightened my chair up to the table.

"It was mainly for you, but I haven't drank in awhile so I'm treating myself too! Plus it fits tonight's dinner" He looked over the bottle and smiled warmly when he recognized the name.

"Your mother's favorite" We smiled and ate the rest of our dinner in silence. Of course he helped me clean up since I didn't let him set the table this time.

"Dad! Go rest, I can get it" He took the plate out of my hands and shook his head at me.

"Go get ready for bed, I'll do the dishes and get you some ice cream" I smiled and ran upstairs to take a shower. I don't remember us having ice cream, he must've bought some behind my back. He's always buying snacks and sneaking them inside like we don't get any when we're out in town. After my shower, I threw on a crop top, shorts, and my fuzzy socks. I was drying my hair when I heard multiple voices coming from the living room. I called out to my dad, but he didn't answer me. Curious, I went to the stairs and slowly went down them to try to see who it was before they could see me. Didn't work. There were two younger guys talking with my dad, but dad seemed kind of tensed up. I glanced to the kitchen to see the ice cream sitting out, melting.

"Dad! The ice cream!" I quickly ran over to clean it up and listened in on their conversation. One of the guys was staring directly at me, like I was crazy.

"You owe him money, and he hasn't seen a single penny! He wants his money, right now"

"Listen, I don't get paid until next week. I'll have the money then!" I heard glass shatter and my mother's flower vase was on the floor. I stormed over and looked down at the fresh flowers my dad had bought her to put in that vase, lying on the floor.

"You can't just barge into our house, demand my dad money, and break my mother's vase! What do you think this is? You don't own this place and you're sitting on our couch in your dirty ass clothes, tracking mud in with your disgusting shoes, bossing my dad around like you're his parent, and throwing shit like a damn toddler! Get. Lost." Dad grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side.

"Go back upstairs after you apologize"

"They broke her vase, pa. You can't let them do that!" He shook his head and walked back over to the men. I couldn't hear what he was saying but the guys weren't having any of what he said. He pulled out a gun and I ran towards my dad. I stood in front of my dad staring the man directly in the face.

"You've got yourself a deal!" I looked back at dad as they started walking out the door.

"What was that about?" He shook his head and took a couple steps back. I seen tears streaming down his cheeks and I wrapped my arms around him.

"Let's go" I looked back at one of the guys who was holding a suitcase. I looked back at my father who was now sobbing.

"Dad?"

"I don't have any money... I'm sorry" I faced the man again and stood in front of my dad.

"You can't take my dad!" The guy laughed and rolled the suitcase towards me.

"I'm taking you, not him" And just like that, that was his final transaction. He and I lost everything. I was dragged out to their car, after hugging my dad, with my belongings beside me. I silently cried and prayed to my mother that this was all a bad dream and that her and my sister were playing with my head. I really wish that was true.