Chapter 1- New Town, New School

On rare occasions, an individual is born into the world who possesses a rare and wonderful gift. This is the gift of great power, but with it comes the weight of great responsibilities. Super strength, flight, telekinesis These are just some of the limitless powers someone who's one in a million could be born with.

But being unlucky, or lucky, to be born without powers doesn't necessarily mean that you're out of the superpower game. Freak lab accident, bitten by a radioactive spider, blasted by gamma rays. You already know the gist of those origin stories.

With all of these extraordinary people who exist, there must be one question on your mind: who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale... if somebody told you I was just your average ordinary guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied. But let me assure you: This, like any story worth telling, is all about a girl. Her superhero alias is Melody and she destroyed my home, prompting my family to pack everything up and move to Tokyo.

It all started a month ago when Melody, one of Japan's greatest superheroes who has the ability to manipulate sound waves got into a fight with your average villain of the week. Pretty standard stuff. However, that fight ended up taking place in my town of Yumekawa. The worst part about the fight is that I didn't even get to witness it, being a huge fan of her and all.

I mean, how can someone not admire super heroes? Their unwavering and selfless commitment to helping others, how they always get back up no matter how hard they get hit, and their ability to inspire ordinary people like myself to believe in their own potential to create positive change in the world.

So yeah, I was pretty bummed when I learned that I missed out on the fight while I was staying after school to get tutored. I was even more bummed out when half the city ended up getting completely leveled. But I guess it was sooner or later that I'd leave that town. My mom's job required us to move frequently, which gave me little to no time to fit in at whatever school I found myself in for a school year at most if I was lucky. Much like how a rolling stone gathers no moss, I could never make friends that I'd keep for long. Just a lot of promises to 'keep in touch' that lasted a few months if any efforts to stay in touch were made at all. Although, it was admittedly my fault some of the time.

Even if I was there to witness the fight, it's not like I could've changed the outcome. These great powers, these great responsibilities, I have neither. Right now, there's nothing I'd like more than to just be another face in the crowd. At least that's just one of the thousand things on my mind right now as I'm sitting on a train on my way to my first day in a new school. Normally, I'd be fixated on my phone during the trip, but there's just too much on my mind right now.

I'm going to be a second year student at Haneoka. And this time, unlike all the other times, I'll be staying in one place. My mom quit her old job to work at Tsurumaki Tech, a globally renowned organization famous for its groundbreaking scientific research and technological innovations. That means no jumping from city to city anymore. Just staying put.

I guess that makes this my last chance to live a normal high school life. Remember how I said my story wasn't for the faint of heart? My heart has a terrible time recounting the horrible ordeal of my sickness. Yes, it's a terrible sickness that feeds on embarrassment. This was a sickness of being what one would refer to as being a 'chunibyou'.

Ever since I was a kid, I was obsessed with superheroes. Most kids who liked superheroes would have a phase where they would pretend to be a superhero, mostly just while playing with their friends. Me on the other hand... It's embarrassing to admit, but I didn't grow out of that phase for a long time. I even created a superhero alter ego, a mad scientist who transformed himself into a superhero through experimentation.