Chapter 3

He didn't say that he felt her emotions rippling just below the mask she kept firmly on, didn't tell her that he could sense her brooding thoughts, that he knew because he had been in that state a few times before, too.

Loki debated if he should put his hand out for her and invite her into his 'little world' when he saw how she struggled with her inner emotions, but the logical part of him reasoned that it would only bring more pain and problems, so he settled with an "Are you alright?"

He was dying to get to know her better, to finally have a real friend among the deathly arrogant Asgardians.

Just when he thought that she would open up to him, she shifted personalities again, and back into that cold, carefree seductress.

How foolish of him to think that highly of a fellow Asgardian, that she would open up to him just because they had the same problems, that she might not be a random noble's daughter who sucked up to people of higher classes just because she didn't have wings. Besides, they were just strangers who barely knew each other, so why did he have these feelings?

She blinked and looked up at him with those beautiful green eyes, cocking her head to the side as she lied, "I'm fine."

He just nodded and played along for both of their sakes. When she sent him that flirtatious smile and wink, he could feel his heartbeat quickening as she teased, "Why? Were you worried?"

Loki rolled his eyes at her good-naturedly, but paused before turning serious again, "What would you think if I said I was?" It was a real question, but she simply smiled back at him, "You wouldn't say you were. After all, aren't you the all-powerful god of evil?"

Yeah, he had an image to protect. It was probably already ruined if anyone spread rumors of him hanging out with that new Asgardian.

Forget it, he chided himself, he could always rebuild it effortlessly.

He turned his attention back to the girl in front of him and replied, "Well, I wasn't worried." Loki set up his guards once again, his eyes hardening as he added, "I'm the god of evil, darling, and I don't care about anyone else."

At that, he got up and left, leaving her alone on the balcony, heading to whoever knows where.

He had lied, of course, needed an excuse to get away from her, but not because he disliked her company. In fact, it was the very opposite: he had liked her way too much.

Whatever, if he left her, he would probably just forget about her. Problem solved.

He was absolutely oblivious of the fact that she was not going to allow him to slip through her fingers, that she would do absolutely anything to find him again.

Loki continued walking, out of the doors, without a real destination in mind.

"Wait."

He turned to see an out-of-breath Xena chasing after him and he couldn't help but smile slightly at the irony. She caught up to him and sighed, "Loki, you have no idea how hard it is to run in a dress, but that's not the point."

He nodded and continued walking, amusement lighting his eyes as he asked, "If it's not, then what is?" 

She made a good show of rolling her eyes, and proceeded to follow him, her steps unhurried, "Let me stay here: by your side."

Just when he wanted to answer, to tell her that he would be delighted to have her for company, one of the soldiers of Odin ran up to them, more specifically to Xena. He gave her a stiff bow, and ignoring Loki, informed her, "The king wants to see you."

Loki raised an eyebrow, "Odin? Why would Odin ever bother with her?" Unless . . . He had a nagging suspicion, though, that she probably was serving him with that beautiful body of hers . . .

She sighed, and turned to him, "I've really got to go, so, see you later, Loki."

With that, she left him, to run off in the direction of the throne room, with the soldier on her tail.