Chapter 25: Reaction

"Haven't seen much of Granger lately," Mitch said in a low voice as he and Harry walked towards a decrepit old house at the outskirts of the village of Losking. They were both dressed in sweaters and jeans and leaned casually against the gate of the nearest house, taking care to not gaze towards the ancient home that neither should've been able to see.

"She's been in a weird mood for a while now," Harry replied back, pretending to peruse a map of the town. He cast his eyes around, taking in the heavily wooded area beyond the house and the occupants of the street: an elderly couple were the only visible people in the area, tending to the flowers within their tiny garden. Harry glanced at his watch, hoping that the couple would go inside without any magical persuasion.

He looked back at the now brown-haired and blue-eyed Mitch, knowing that he himself had very similar features. Harry's own hair was also lengthened slightly in order to ensure that his scar remained unseen. To any passersby, they would simply appear to be two brothers considering possible routes to hike in the forest.

"Why do you think that is?" Mitch said. "Something happen?"

"Dunno," Harry said. "She's been sort of...distant ever since Ginny and I announced our engagement."

Actually, Harry thought to himself, perhaps "distant" wasn't the appropriate word for it. After her strange behavior that night, Hermione had been perfectly friendly. Granted, she'd stopped eating lunch with him almost altogether, but Harry knew how strenuous a new position could be at the Ministry. For this same reason, Harry suspected, Hermione's visits had also become fewer and farther apart, and completely business-related as well.

It was really Hermione's increased work ethic that resulted in Harry and Mitch standing here now, outside of Fenrir Greyback's hideout. She had thrown herself into the case quite ferociously, and her continual investigations had discovered the hints that enabled the Aurors to track down the Secret Keeper to this ramshackle building.

"She's probably just caught up with her relationship with Ron," Harry said. "Wondering where it's going. Maybe she'll be a bit better at the engagement party tonight." He saw the elderly woman help her husband rise from the flowerbeds and they both tottered into their small home, perhaps for a glass of water and a well-deserved break. Harry watched them closely.

"Let's go," he said as soon as the door had snapped shut. They stole quickly across the road and slid through the iron gates. The dead grass poking through the cracked stone walk crunched softly under their feet.

As they ascended the steps leading to the porch, Harry raised his wand.

"Alohomora," he murmured softly, and the door swung open.

Harry gestured for Mitch to follow him, and together they crept into the dusty hall. A staircase lined the right wall, and two doors stood ajar on the other.

After a moment of deliberation, he jerked his head toward the first door and Mitch nodded, moving silently towards it. Harry himself strode to the second door. He held his breath for a moment, listening intently. No noise rustled within the room. Taking a chance, he cast Muffliato, and then kicked open the door.

No one was there.

Harry glanced around the small sitting area, taking in the faded couch and the brick fireplace almost black with soot.

"Homenum revelio," he said, and just as he suspected it would, nothing happened.

He stepped once more into the hallway, and Mitch came out of the first room before shrugging and shaking his head.

Harry nodded and led the way up the stairs, thankful that he had cast Muffliato as they creaked loudly.

Dust lay much thicker on the second level, but this only made the footprints lining the floor stand out more vividly.