Chapter 11: Struck

Harry, Ron, and Hermione trudged up the winding staircase of Number 12 Grimmauld Place, each laden with numerous boxes and packages filled with the various knick-knacks needed to make the house more livable.

"You know your mum didn't need to give me all this stuff," Harry called over his shoulder to Ron. "I could get on fine by myself."

"You know how she is, Harry. She's already got her knickers in a knot over you moving here in the first place. The least she can do is completely furnish every room in your mansion and stock your ridiculously enormous fridge with delicious food that took her days to make," Ron replied, sounding muffled behind what appeared to be a stack of linens.

Harry and Hermione laughed. Despite the work, they were rather enjoying themselves, and in fact a somewhat silly mood had settled over the three of them.

"Yes, I do suppose Molly went a bit overboard," Hermione said. "But she's only doing it because she cares about you, Harry."

"Well, either way I'm going to insist that I pay her back for all this," Harry said.

"You know Mum would never take your money, mate."

"I'll find a way to do it," Harry said. "Slip it in her sock drawer or something." "You're going to slip literally dozens of Galleons into her sock drawer?" Hermione asked.

"Think she'll notice?" Harry said.

The trio had now reached Sirius' old room, which was now to be Harry's. Ron dropped his burdens unceremoniously on the floor, threw himself onto the bed, and crossed his arms behind his head.

"So now that the men's work is done-" he began, and then received a blow across the head with an overstuffed pillow, courtesy of Hermione.

"Hey! What was that for?!" Ron exclaimed, rubbing his head sourly.

"You know exactly what that was for, you chauvinistic pig! Get your lazy arse off that bed and helping us bring the rest of the boxes up here! At this rate, we'll be doing this for hours!" Hermione yelled.

A thought suddenly occurred to Harry.

"It just struck me," he said. "Why didn't we just use our wands? We've been at this for a good hour or so..."

Hermione's face suddenly became expressionless. She turned her gaze to Harry.

"I don't... know," she said slowly.

"Seems like the sensible thing to do, doesn't it? It would only take a few seconds."

Hermione was quiet for a few moments.

"And this only just struck you?" she said through gritted teeth.

"Yeah, it did," Harry said, seeming rather proud of himself.

"Well let me know if anything else strikes you," Hermione said, picking up a small but heavy-looking bust from the bedside table and raising it above her head.

"Hermione," Harry said mock-seriously, "you don't want to do this. Put the bust down, and step away from the table."

"Boy, oh boy, Harry. I just don't know," Hermione said in a funny accent, one Harry suspected to be from some old movie he had never seen.

They continued this banter for several more seconds, before Ron, who had remained sitting on the bed, interjected.

"Hey, Hermione-can I see your bust?"

Hermione swung her head towards Ron, a reproachful look on her face. Harry took the opportunity to tackle her to the bed, and promptly began to tickle her ferociously.