Chapter 9: Memory Lane

Start from the beginning

"Yeah! I'll pay with my fists again next time!" She said. Ben was left speechless because of what this little girl did for him She savedhim.

"Th-Thank you.." Ben stutters. "No problem-o! Anything for a friend!" She said, turning around to meet him. "F-Friend..?" Ben said, confused. The girl only giggled.

"Of course! Don't you remember? I wanted to play with you since day 1. But you always went home early. I'm (Y/N)." She said with a smile. Offering Ben a hand.

"I want to be friends with you!" (Y/N) smiled contagiously. Then for the first time, Ben smiled as well.

~November 29th...

"Hi kids! My name is Professor Annie. I'm here with Professor Tammy. We come from a veeeeerrry special place! We would like to conduct some scientific experiments today," A lady dressed in a white lab coat said in a sweet voice. She had red hair and brown eyes and her pale cheeks were freckled. The other lady looked exactly the same. They were twins.

"In plain English, that means we get to play aaaall day long!!" The other lady, professor Tammy said, the children cheered.

"We will make you more stronger, smarter, anything you'd like to be~!" Professor Annie beamed.

"Now, kids, just form two lines. One for the girls and one for the boys, and then when we call your name, you can enter the next room and we'll see how healthy you little munchkins are!" Professor Tammy firmly pinched the cheek of Ben who frowned at them. (Y/N) was beside him and looked awfully excited.

But Ben, however, didn't want to become part of whatever 'games' they were gonna play. He just wanted to play with (Y/N) alone. So he slipped away while everyone was busy and distracted and went home. He was uninterested in playing with grownups.

February 19th, 10 years ago...

"Ma'am, have you noticed anything strange about your son? Does he show any signs of sickness?" The teacher asked a woman. They were having a private meeting, just the two of them adults in one empty classroom.

Today, (Y/N) was absent. She couldn't bear whatever sickness she got. Ben wondered for how many days will she be gone. He was getting lonely.

"No. In fact, he's very healthy. Why?" The woman replied. Ben stood behind the wall, listening in to their conversation. He couldn't help it, for the past months everything around him was strange. Sick children, Disappearances of classmates, and what-not.

In the room was his class adviser and his mother.

"It's just that most of the children in my class claimed feeling very sick. Some of them even stopped going to school altogether! I'm really worried.." Miss Karen stared at the playing children through the windows, those who were left of her class.

"Ah. I'm not sure why that happens as well... Well, I have to get going now. My next shift starts in an hour." The woman, Ben's mother picked up her purse and stood from her chair.

"What's your profession, ma'am?" Miss Karen asked once more.

"I'm a researcher at this... Facility. Me and my husband research about human genetics and what- not. My co-workers are the professor twins that came by here a few months back."

I watched with an observant gaze and hear with a sharp ear..

June 9th...

"(Y/N)! There you are!" A woman called out to little (Y/N). Once again, (Y/N) had went missing and went off on her own. And her mother would always find her in this same amusement park. It was full of children and adults. Even families or young couples. So it was by luck did (Y/N)'s mother find her walking amongst the crowd all alone.