twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

A FEW WEEKS AGO

I sit up in my seat as I gaze over the comment made by someone named Ivy. I assumed she was just a friend until I saw Abel's response to her comment. Who is she and why the fuck is she leaving unwanted comments.

I feel my fingers clench into a fist out of jealousy before I even press her profile. When it loads a blonde-haired girl who seemed a few years older than me appeared. And I hate it say it but she's not ugly. She has a petite hourglass shape with platinum blonde hair and blue eyes.

Tattoos cover her arms and left leg. I click her following and type in Cory's name but it doesn't pop up, however, she does follow Cory. I sigh and settle on the thought that she's probably just a follower. But before leaving her page I pressed her tagged posts and scrolled through them before stopping St one that made time stop. I hover my thumb over the picture that Cory seems to be in but I'm scared.

Why? I'm not sure.

I take a breath and press my thumb on the photo. As it blows up I get an incoming call from my dad. I bring my eyebrows together in confusion because my dad hasn't called me since... I don't know when. I wasn't sure his phone was even on.

"Hello?"

"Hey, sweetheart. Could you come home as soon as possible after school? There's something we have to talk about."

I became alert at his words as the possibilities of what he needed to talk about swam around in my head. My dad NEVER calls me unless something's wrong.

"Yeah, I can do that." I hang up after my last words and sit in the classroom contemplating what the fuck is going on. I forgot all about the tagged post.

When I get home my father is sitting on the couch with a glass of water in front of him. His fake brown hair was messy and everywhere like he'd been rolling in bed. "What's up?"

He looks down at the table, my eyes shift to the letters on the table. I pick up the first one I see instantly recognizing the logo of the hospital. The hospital I went to for chemo.

Why would they be sending letters?

I drop everything in my hands and quickly grab a seat before reading. My dad doesn't say much. Or anything for that matter.

"Dear Mr. Monroe,
I'm writing to you regarding your daughter Sage. After re-evaluating old brain scans, I'm afraid my team may have looked at her case wrong. If I am correct Sage must see an Oncologist ASAP. As it could pertain to her life. The team at Hope Hospital hope to see you soon
- Dr. Norman

My eyes scan over the very short but brief letter over and over and over and over. No, there's no way, no fucking way. I stare at the letter engulfed in the silence of the room. I pray to whoever is out there that this is just a silly joke.

My eyes dart to the table seeing the other letters. I quickly get up and grab them both.

Dear Mr. Monroe
I'm writing you yet again regarding your daughter Sage Monroe. It is critical she comes to see us or another Oncologist ASAP. We think her case might have been wrong. We're not entirely sure she is medically where she's supposed to be. It's important she sees someone.

-Dr Norman.

And another

Dear Mr. Monroe...

And another ...

4 complete letters from a doctor begging my dad to get me seen. The realization sets in my chest and I feel like everything I worked for is crumbling down. What does this even mean? Am I still sick? My mind starts running out of all the possibilities of what could be wrong. Am I still dying? I look on the corner of the letters checking the date.

Jan 22nd

Feb 1st

Feb 26th

Mar 3rd.

January was 6 months ago, it's May. The papers drop from my hands as if they gave out on me.
"Dad these letters are months old, Why am I just now seeing them and why haven't we seen a doctor?" I try not to raise my voice but I can feel the tears forming in the corner of my eyes and I'd rather scream than cry.

disappoint of embarrassment are painted all over his face. "DAD! WHAT IS THIS?"  He begins shaking his head as he seems like he's trying to find something to say. I can smell the alcohol on him even though he hasn't said a word.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart, I..."

He pauses. And in that small time period I feel myself go crazy.

"You what dad?"

"I... forgot to change out address when we moved here."

Wow.

"I already packed all your things so we can go-"

"I'm not going anywhere with you."

I turn away and run out the front door.

if you didn't read the description now would be a good time. Secondly please don't hate me :)