"You think that's cute, huh?" Rufus growled out, and I looked up to see his face. An ugly mug of scars and cowlicks and scuff facial hair met my eyes, all dark hair and dark eyes and dark soul with no remorse. "Think it's cute shovin' me and shit?"

"Yeah," I breathed out, laughing through the pain. "It's hysterical." He wound back for another kick.

"That's enough." Everyone froze. It was like if your very bones defied your voice to hear that order. Rufus was stuck mid-kick. Everyone's heads turned. We all knew before we saw or smelled or registered who it was.

Over the balcony from the penthouse overlooking the common area, our Alpha stood. Taupe brown hair casted over eyes that glowed with the use of his Absolute Authority, and a hardened twenty-three year old face looked out on everyone with an expression of ice. I could see just enough through the blur of tears of pain to make him out, and we all stood, besides I, who stayed on the ground nursing wounds, and Rufus, who growled as he backed down and turned to his Alpha.

Elijah Sinclair was a beast to be reckoned with and our most esteemed warrior Alpha. His victories were solid and unquestionable, and he saved our pack from annihilation at seventeen years old when the rogues attacked, taking both my parents and his. Teeming muscles silhouetted against a black skin-tight tee, and baggy sweatpants met at sneakers. He had no doubt been training, as a soft sheen could still be viewed on honey gold skin. A five o'clock shadow grazed his jawline evenly. I could feel the swooning hearts in the room. Alpha Sinclair was our treasure, or something.

Absolute Authority was a gift alphas were blessed with, able to command all of his pack and make any outsider tremble into submission. Rogues were mostly the exception, except. Except.

I stood, unaffected, and brushed the dirt and grime of the floor from my ass with disdain. The looks of disgust and horror from my refusal to submit were palpable as always, but I ignored them, looking up at Elijah with defiance and an edge in my bronze eyes. We stared each other down for a long time before he broke his gaze away, looking around.

"Is this how we conduct ourselves? Violence at a pack meeting. This will not stand. Rufus," Elijah said, the name thundering.

Rufus submitted to his knees, bowing before his Alpha. "Yes, Alpha Sinclair," Rufus said, a wobble in his voice.

"You are barred from the pack house for one month, and you will apologize to Davina." My name felt coarse on Elijah's lips, grating out against his will.

Rufus looked pale with horror and disgust, but he simply lowered his head. "Sorry," He grated out, then fell silent. I glowered. I did not need apologies.

The tension in the room dissipated. Elijah wiped a hand over the room. "You may all stand down. We shall begin this meeting as soon as Rufus leaves." A humiliation unlike any, Rufus carried himself from the packhouse as every member in attendance watched with keen eyes. Then, they all turned to their alpha. The food was running cold.

I took my seat at my usual spot in the back, detached from everyone else, crossing my arms and leaning my back against the wall where my end table met the foundation. The only reason I was able to attend at all was because I was half prisoner half pack member.

Elijah disappeared from his balcony and reappeared downstairs a few moments later, standing at the podium on a wooden stage overlooking the crowds. Beta Markus Levelland and Delta Anthony Seeder took their seats behind him, staring out with steely expressions. Anthony showed no signs of wavering, even if it was clear he was seething towards his son's reckless behavior. To tell the truth, I couldn't tell you why Elijah saved me then, only that it happened, and now it was over. Perhaps spilling my blood in a pack meeting was too much, even if it never meant shit to him any other time. People were watching, judging, our enemies were feasting on our weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Perhaps I couldn't be seen as their weakest link, though I was.