chapter five

|FIVE|
BLISS BLOOMS

       When Eira awoke, Eric was gone. But she had a goofy smile on her face. She touched her fingers to her lips that were numb and swollen; he had kissed her all night long. He only left when it was nearing daylight and then she fell asleep happily; it was now nearing the afternoon when she woke.

           She came down the stairs after she got ready for the day. She fixed herself breakfast this time as her mother came into the kitchen and she noted, "You certainly slept in late."

                Eira blushed as she thought about Eric before she sighed blissfully, "I...kissed Eric."

           Her mother gave her a look and Eira immediately defended with a smile, "Mom, I'm so happy. Please, be happy for me."

             "I am," Meredith held a small smile as she hugged her daughter. "But as a mother, I have to worry about someone breaking your heart."

              "He could never do that," Eira believed wholeheartedly with a smile on her face.

             "If you believe that, then I'll believe that," her mother kissed the top of her head and she clung to her mother tightly.

              "Thank you."

            "Now," her mother teased. "Is he a very good kisser?"

            "Mom!"

           _____

              That evening, Merlotte's was actually closed for a few hours (not that she had to work that night). It was closed because the whole town was going to see the speech Bill gave at the church. Eira attended with her mother.

            Bill was talking about his time in the Civil War. Although, some people in the back were being very rude and she gave them the evil eye as she felt anger at their behavior. Her mother gave a quiet warning, "Eira."

             But she didn't listen. Eira used the wind and, suddenly, the three grown men fell back as their chairs tipped over. Eira smiled as she turned back around.

         She could hear one of them utter, What the fuck? Her mother shook her head but held a small smile as well.

          _____

            After the speech Bill gave, she went home with her mother. On the way home, her mother embarrassingly started to sing Taylor Swift but then she joined in; they laughed a lot at their own bad rendition once they got home.

             They decided to have a movie night by themselves since they were both off of work. They watched a comedy first as they ate popcorn. But during the second movie, she fell asleep.

             Meredith went to get her a blanket when Eric arrived.

          Eric appeared in front of the couch before he saw her sleeping peacefully. He smiled slightly before he took off his leather jacket and placed it over her gently.

          Meredith came back with a blanket to see it as she stood behind the couch and she commented, "She's very happy with you, you know."