just lay with me

super short matt fluff 'cause i've been working really hard on some loongggg imagines for you guys :)
———
I woke up to an empty bed. Matt's usual spot bare and the sheets cold, meaning he's been up for awhile.

"Matt?!" I called out, making sure he was at least still at my house and didn't leave without waking me up. It's not that I needed to know what he was doing constantly, I just hated the idea of waking up and him being gone, "Matt!?"

"Hey, relax," Matt rounded the corner, still in his pajamas, and walked over to my side of the bed to sit down, "Good morning." I pushed myself off the mattress and into his chest, soaking in the feeling of his arms around me.

"Good morning," I replied with my muffled voice, which was caused by the fabric of his sweatshirt, "What we're you doing?"

"I'll show you in, like, five minutes," He stood back up and grabbed my face to look at him, then placed a kiss onto my lips before disappearing again. While he was gone, I tried figuring out what he could possibly be doing.

Was today our one year anniversary? No, that's not for another two months.

Did I hit some milestone on my socials? No, I don't think so at least.

What could it possibly—

"Happy birthday!" He re-entered my room with a small cake, the numbers one and nine in candle form on top, and a big smile on his face.

How the hell did I forget my own birthday?

"I made you a cake!" He said excitedly, his voice squeaking accidentally as he sat down, "It's chocolate with vanilla frosting." He admired his handy work proudly, "There's more." He handed the cake off to me and I giggled at him running out of the room for the third time.

"More?" I asked in disbelief.

"I've been hiding this for almost a month," He sat a birthday bag on my bed and took the cake back, holding it in front of me as the flames on the candles danced, "Make a wish first."

I closed my eyes and thought of what could make me the happiest in the world. Something that could make all my bad days better. Something I've always wanted. Then, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and blew the candles out. When I opened my eyes I realized my wish was already right in front of me. The best thing that has ever happened to me, sitting on my bed, giddy smile on his face as he stared at me with adoration.

"I love you," I said quietly, "Thank you." He placed the cake onto my nightstand and gave me another kiss, this time letting it linger for a moment.

"I love you, too," His voice fell lower as well, savoring the sweet moment, "Now open your present." He brought the gift between us and looked between me and it excitedly.

On top was an elephant stuffed animal, my favorite animal in the entire world. I sat it in my lap and continued digging through the bag. Next was a pair of sweatpants I've been saying I wanted and funny socks with dancing fruits on them. I thought it couldn't get any better, then I saw a book sitting at the bottom.

"A book? Matt, I don't read," I chuckled and looked up at him.

"It's not a book, swear," He promised. As I grabbed the book out of the bag, he took it and sat it on the floor so it was out of the way, "It's a scrapbook of us. My mom did most of the work, but it was my idea. I was gonna give it to you for our one year but I couldn't wait."

"Oh my god," My eyes began watering at the sweet sentiment. No one I'm my entire life has done anything like this for me, "Is this our first date?" I asked as I looked at the first page. It was nearly a year ago. Matt insistent he take me to the 'best' ice cream place in town and to this day we still go there, because it really is the best.

"Yup," He answered happily, "Keep going." The next page read 'month one', followed by pages of our first year dating. The scrapbook went on following the months in chronological order. Selfies, bracelets from events, the button that fell of my favorite jacket, it was all here, "Do you like it?"

"I love it," I moved the scrapbook out of the way so I could properly hug him, "Can I get a new one every year?" I asked, slightly joking.

"MaryLou is already making the next one," He answered with a small chuckle, "What do you wanna do today? We can go to that one restaurant you like, or we can go mini-golfing, we can—"

"Just lay with me," I answered and pulled away, "That's all I want for my birthday. Just you." I then grabbed the stuffed animal, "And her, of course. I'm naming her Peanut." I thought it was a fitting name since she was an elephant.

"It's cute," He slid back into bed and I laid next to him, "I can't believe you're nineteen, you're getting old," He instantly began laughing at his own joke and I pretending to be offended.

"Me!? You're twenty! Who's old now!" I smacked his chest and he fell deeper into his fits of laughter, "No cake for you!" I grabbed the cake and swiped some frosting off of it, exaggerating the taste with a dramatic 'mmm!'

"I made it!" He argued and sat up in the bed, "Fine. Have fun eating with no fork." He somehow managed to sneak two forks on my nightstand without me noticing.

"I'd rather have cake than forks, bitch, I can eat with my hands," I broke some cake away and shoved it in my mouth as his fork dug into the side, "I'm only sharing if we can watch Spider-Man."

"That's fine," We got comfortable and I turned my TV on, instantly going to Spider-Man and hitting play.

The next few hours were spent laying in bed and devouring the cake he had made, which was actually quite good. I didn't need some extravagant party or a boat load of people surrounding me on my birthday. I just needed my favorite wish. The wish that would come true every year.

———

I literally typed this in 20 minutes so if it's horrible I'm so sorry. I desperately needed a little Matt fluff in my life <3

I've been writing a couple requests that have to do with some heavy topics, so please either mentally prepare to read them or skip them until lighter topics are posted :) I care about all my readers, so please don't feel forced to read anything with a TW if it makes you uncomfortable.