Chapter 19 - Age of Ultron

"But it's a trick." Barton says. The party is over, just the Avengers and close friends left behind, sitting across the large couch.

"No, no, it's much more than that." Thor replies.

"'Ah, whoever be he worthy shall haveth the power'. Whatever, man! It's a trick." He mocks.

"Please, be my guest." He offers with a laugh, waving towards Mjolnir, which sits on the table in front of the group.

"Come on." Tony tells Barton.

"Really?" He asks.

"Yeah." Thor replies.

"Oh, this is gonna be beautiful." Rhodes says.

"Clint, you've had a tough week. We won't hold it against you if you can't get it up." Tony teases, making the group laugh.

"You know I've seen this before, right?" Barton asks, looking at Thor. He simply raises his eyebrows in response. Barton grabs the handle, grunting as he tries to lift Mjolnir. He laughs as he lets go. "I still don't know how you do it!"

"Smell the silent judgement?" He jokes.

"Please, Stark, by all means." He offers. Tony stands and clears his throat, taking Barton's spot in front of Mjolnir.

"Never one to shrink from an honest challenge." He says.

"Get after it." Barton tells him, sitting on the couch.

"It's physics." He announces, slipping his hand through the strap and grabbing the handle.

"Physics." Bruce says skeptically.

"Right, so, if I lift it, I then rule Asgard?" Tony asks, looking to Thor.

"Yes, of course." He answers.

"I will be getting rid of your father. No offense, but he's a dick." He replies, having heard stories of Odin from Dahlia. He's the reason she didn't return to Asgard, as she knew Odin would use Loki's death as an opportunity to get rid of her permanently. With Thor telling Odin she had died in the fight against Malekith, she'd kept her life and the opportunity to start new. Tony sets his foot on the table next to Mjolnir, grunting as he pulls with all his weight. "I'll be right back."

He returns with his Iron Man arm on. He pulls again, using the jets. After a moment he ropes Rhodes into helping him, adding his own War Machine arm.

"Are you even pulling?" Rhodes asks him. 

"Are you on my team?" He replies.

"Just represent. Pull." He says.

"All right, let's go." Tony tells him. 

Dahlia laughs as they both give up, Bruce replacing them. He sets both feet on the table, yelling as he pulls. With none of the others able to do it, Steve moves towards Mjolnir.

"Go ahead, Steve. No pressure." Tony jokes.

"Come on, Cap." Barton calls as Steve grips the handle. Mjolnir moves slightly and Thor straightens, suddenly not finding this group bonding activity fun anymore. Steve sighs as he steps back, unable to lift it. Thor laughs, relieved.

"Widow?" Bruce asks, looking at Natasha.

"Oh, no, no. That's not a question I need answered." She replies, taking a drink.

"All deference to the Man Who Wouldn't Be King, but it's rigged." Tony says.

"You bet your ass." Baron adds. Dahlia laughs, shaking her head.

"Steve, he said a bad language word." Maria teases.

"Did you tell everyone about that?" He asks, looking at Tony.