The One with Their First Date

"Okay."

Steve paused and his brows furrowed, "Okay?"

"Yeah," Bucky nodded, looking down at his hands that were resting on the table, almost touching Steve's hands. They were at the quaint coffee shop that Bucky liked to think of as theirs, arguing about cheesy horror movies from the 80s that Bucky had watched through his fingers and their terrifying remakes that Bucky had never seen and had no desire to see.

But he was willing to watch them for Steve.

"Maybe over Thanksgiving break – or something," Bucky quickly added, giving Steve an out before suggesting, "We can watch it."

For a moment, Steve just stared at him with wide eyes, and for a moment, Bucky was sure that he had evaluated their previous night incorrectly. Perhaps Steve didn't feel the same way about him. Perhaps Bucky had gotten his hopes up too –

"I gotta close up," the kind barista cleared her throat, gaining their attention.

"Right," Bucky said, quickly standing up and pushing his chair in. Not realizing how long they had been at the coffee shop, Bucky apologized, "Sorry."

"It's alright," the girl assured.

"Thank you," Steve smiled, putting some more money in the tip jar.

"Thank you," she smiled, walking around the counter to lock the door behind them.

Walking down the dark street, they kept close to each other. Not touching, but close enough to where their hands brushed. Wanting to give whatever they were a more concrete description, Bucky suggested, "So, maybe Saturday? Watch some movies? Get some takeout?"

"Are you asking me out?"

Bucky's heart started to race. Looking over at Steve, he didn't find anything to help him piece together what they were. Not wanting to overstep, he said, "Well, that depends."

Steve's brows furrowed, "On what?"

Sheepishly, Bucky shrugged, "On whether you say yes."

"Oh," Steve redirected his gaze in front of them.

As Steve worried his bottom lip with his teeth, Bucky started to grow nervous. Had he overstepped? Did Steve even like him like that? Sure, they spent the whole day practically cuddling, but what if Steve was just trying to be polite? What if Steve felt like he couldn't decline since there was a group of people around and he didn't want to make a –

"What kind of takeout are we talking about?"

Letting out a breath of relief, Bucky said, "Whatever you want."

"Then how can I refuse?"

A grin crossed Bucky's face and crinkled all the way up to his eyes when he saw Steve smile. Taking Steve's artistic, slender hand in his, Bucky couldn't have been happier if he tried. Unfortunately, their night was coming to an end, and Bucky wasn't ready to say goodbye just yet.

Slowing his pace, Bucky restarted their previous conversation, "A Nightmare on Elm Street. The original is better than the remake. You can't deny that one."

Playfully, Steve narrowed his eyes, "Okay. But that's just one example."

"Friday the 13th."

Shaking his head, Steve corrected, "I think that's more a sequel than a remake."

"No," Bucky argued even though he hadn't seen either remake for himself, and was only being contrary to be contrary. Besides, he only knew this stuff thanks to Clint and Sam and what their passionate arguments were about. So, Bucky feigned knowledge, "The 2009 was a reboot."