The One with the Invitation

"How's school been, James?" Bucky's mother, Winnie, asked as he did his laundry.

"Fine," Bucky shrugged, transferring the washed clothes to the dryer.

Winnie nodded and leaned against the counter beside the washer. With it being the weekend, Winnie was still in her favorite terry cloth Eeyore pajama pants even though it was two in the afternoon. Tucking her wild graying brown curls behind her ear, she asked, "How's being on your own?"

"Fine."

Frustrated with Bucky's lack of details and wanting to talk to her oldest, she crossed her arms along her busty chest, "Got any big plans for Halloween?"

Closing the dryer door, Bucky leaned against the opposite counter, "Was thinking about going to the Delta Beta Beta Phi's mixer."

"When's that?"

"Halloween," Bucky chuckled under his breath.

"Alright, smartass," Winnie playfully rolled her eyes. "Are you still taking Tibby trick-or-treating?"

Bucky tried to decide. Sure, the mixer wasn't until that night. But he had hoped he could spend some time with Steve. Just the two of them. Especially after how their last hang out had turned into a sleepover.

"Do you, uh..." Bucky paused, thinking over a plan, "Do you think that I could bring a friend?"

Winnie quirked a brow at him in pleasant surprise and she asked, "Which friend?"

"Steve," Bucky focused on folding his freshly dried laundry.

"The artist?" Winnie correctly identified.

"Yeah," Bucky confirmed, already feeling his cheeks heat. Did you tell the whole fucking world? Jesus H. Christ, Buck.

Winnie shrugged, "That's fine."

"Cool," Bucky bit back his grin. Desperately hoping that he could keep his excitement to a minimum since he didn't exactly tell his parents about his new discovery. However, his mother kept looking at him. As though she was starting to put the pieces together.

Hands shaking in his anxiousness, Bucky put down the garment of clothing he was attempting to fold. Not caring about them wrinkling, Bucky turned to leave the laundry room as he informed, "I'm gonna go tell Tibby."

"Okay, dear," Winnie smiled, walking over to the counter so she could finish folding Bucky's clothes for him.

Taking the steps two at a time, Bucky made his way to the family room where Tibby was sitting on the floor, coloring. His dad, George, was watching his favorite Halloween movie, Addams Family Values. George chuckled as the bodiless hand, Thing, flew through the hospital and smacked a newborn's bare bum.