06 | preparation with thorns

Tomorrow was the school festival's day and maybe the progress wasn't progressing at all

I forgot to ask Cassian's number. What a dumbass I was, because I couldn't contact him and the school was busy nowadays so I hadn't met him for days. I didn't really want to ask Zen, I had a feeling that he was either going to tease me or reject me.

Students were busy and the bazaars kept bustling with preparations. Banners and posters were up, Isis and Zen were practicing for the class' theatre as they quarreled by chance. I didn't have the time to really find more friends other than Isis and maybe this would be my only chance to do it. The literature club was filled with upperclass students and I had a little hard time hanging with them because of grade issues. I couldn't call myself a proclaimed introvert, but when I wanted to befriend someone out of curiosity or interest, I gave my best towards it. Isis was preparing for her own solo performance too, she played guitar and her turn was at the third last of the rundown event.

I approached Genevieve first and she was shy at first, but with the help of Augustine, she became friendlier and even bought me ice cream as a thank you treat. Augustine was satisfied and he was happy when Genevieve had someone to talk to when he was away for more help around the building. Katarin followed us when she was interested in the ice cream. I let her taste a small bite and she groaned with happiness.

All of us sauntered over the hallway, bringing our supplies and tools for the bazaar. Everything was already done, except for the moving section. We had to move our stuff into the booth to readied everything once and for all.

Through the hallway, Katarin nudged me gently.

"What?" I asked.

She pointed her index finger towards a girl... that seemed so familiar.

Glaring eyes, arms over chest, high schooler...

Ah, she was the one who confronted me about Cassian.

"We need to talk." She expected me to follow her. And so, I followed.

Our steps were out of sync. She was in a hurry, meanwhile I was cool as a cucumber.

We stopped at the school's yard and gave me a middle finger. What the hell?

"You must stay away from him." She was literally fuming and ready to slice my head.

"Why? You're not his girlfriend, right?" Who knew he had a surprise girlfriend, right? It was the right thing to ask.

"Because, he's out of your reach."

I was dumbfounded.

"Excuse me? I should be the one who's out of his reach," I joked with flattery.

"You don't understand, he's different from us-" A hand grabbed mine and we rushed off towards the hallway.

Amantha (the high schooler earlier, when I spotted her necklace with her name engraved on it) screamed at us to stop, but we kept moving forward.

"You shouldn't even follow her, airhead." The person who dragged me scolded me for my choices.

I sighed, it was Cassian.

I was happy to see him, it had been a long time since I needed inspiration for my novel.

Our hands were still intertwined and it felt warm and comforting.

"I think you're getting sent off to a lab," I blurted out.

"Are you crazy?" His confusion swirling on his words despite having the contradiction between them.

"I'm not, and I think she knows you're sort of an immortal? Isn't it dangerous?" I panicked.

His palms were on his face and slid down until his neck.

"Even if she knew, she wouldn't send me off there."

"How did you know?" Bewildered, I grabbed his gray hoodie tightly.

"There's always a fanatic that searched through my records, not a surprise for me," He explained.

"Still, wouldn't it be dangerous?"

Cassian just grunted a 'no' and we both were headed to my booth. He dropped me off there and... disappeared.

Weird.

But, I strangely liked it.

My friends asked me where I had gone. Katarin and Genevieve were worried, but thought that girl was no threat. They breathed a sound of relief and we finished our work as soon as possible.

It was already evening when students were gradually leaving school. It was a fun yet tiring day. But tomorrow would be worth it and perfect on time.

I went home with Isis and she talked about various things that will happen tomorrow.

She registered herself on a solo performance and learned her role in the class' theater. As for Zen, they bickered the whole day about the roles. Unfortunately, our homeroom teacher paired them as the representatives of the class theater. We also talked about how annoying Zen was and she flustered all the way when she spoke about his electric guitar's skill. I giggled, Isis was cute when she had a crush on someone. She was too dumb to realize it. Cassian also went into our conversation, Isis grew suspicious of our relationship, but I assured her we were just friends and I needed him for my novel.

Isis went in a different direction after she sent me home. As usual, my brother was at work and I had to unlock the front door with my spare key. I plopped on my bed and threw my bag around the floor. I felt like I could sleep right now.

I hope tomorrow will be a great, worthwhile day for everyone. It was a pity I could not contact Cassian to invite him for the school's festival.

I had to sleep right now to preserve my energy right away. So I did my whole night routine. A face mask was even obligatory in my routine. I heard my brother's footsteps go upstairs. I shouted 'good night' and turned off my night lamp with tucked blankets.

I closed my eyes right after my brother yelled at me back.

***

The next morning, my alarm blared out loud.

I yawned and stretched my whole body, cracking the joints to feel good. I looked at the time and it was eight AM- wait, eight?

The festival started now.

So, I was late?

I was late?!

"I'm late!" I screamed until all my neighbors woke up and screamed back this was a dream.

But, this was reality.

"Shit!" And I cursed too.

***

hello readers! this chapter is sort of like a filler because the next one will be exciting! stay tuned for more!

follow my wattpad for more information and updates! xoxo!