20. But, Fuck Money We Want Love

Start from the beginning

"Yeah but he's just not good for you and by you staying here that makes you an idiot, and he's a jerk, I don't need that in my life and neither does Emma." She says getting up and taking her bag into her hands as well as Emma.

"Talk to us when you finally come to your senses." Emma says while she and Katelyn walk out of the door to my apartment.

The door slammed shut and the tears began to pour out of my eyes.

[End flashback]

"Do you want to go outside and talk for a minute?" She asks motioning towards the door.

"Yeah sure." I say following her outside.

We found a spot to sit and I hooked Max's leash around the arm of my chair then turned to Katelyn and waited for her to speak.

"So it's good to hear you've been doing well, how's Spencer?" She asks before taking a sip of her drink.

"She's doing well, just working and stuff." I say with a small smile just wishing we could cut the small talk.

"Look Ari, now that I have the chance, I really just want to apologize for the things we said, Emma and I, the last time we saw each other. I know now that we were not the greatest of friends to you, you needed us and we left." She says looking down at her lap then up to meet my eyes.

"Yeah well, it goes to show that when times get hard you find out who your true friends are." I say bitterly.

"You're right." She agrees.

"But I forgive you, forgive and forget." I say after noticing the sorrow in her voice.

"Emma and I were looking through old photos and found a lot with you and Spencer, it made us remember the past and that's when I realized how much I missed you guys."

"Well you always miss the things you never realized you loved the most until it's gone." I say looking out to the street where cars sped by.

"Can we just forget everything and restart?" She asks leaning over the table slightly.

"Yeah, that'd be nice." I say with a genuine smile.

"So how's life been recently? Are you still working at the bakery?" She asks getting me to think of Lisa for the second time today.

"Uhm, no Lisa passed away a few months ago, the bakery closed down." I say softly.

"Awe I'm so sorry. Well what do you do now?"

"Right now I'm just living with my boyfriend and baking here and there but I start my new job at a café next week." I say.

"Oh so you're still with Sean?" She asks as more of a statement.

"No I left him almost a year ago." I say as realization hits me that it's already been a year.

"That's good, good for you Ari." She says just as my phone starts to ring.

I look at the caller ID and see Jaime's contact name flash across the screen, Señor Hottie. Trust me; I didn't come up with that name.

I excused myself for a second and answered the call, "Hello Arianna's office how my I help you?" I say in a secretary voice.

"Yes, can I speak to my super hot girlfriend that's way out of my league but chose me anyways?" He says getting me to laugh.

"What's up babe?" I reply.

"What are you doing?"

"Oh just here at Starbucks talking with an old friend, are you out of practice already?" I ask looking at my watch.