12. A Trophy Fathers Trophy Son

*Flashback*

"You're father never loved you! Because of you he left me and now we're nowhere, and it's all your damn fault!" She screamed at my face.

"I'm sorry mommy." I say lowering my head, keeping my gaze away from hers.

"You should be sorry; you're a sorry excuse for a human being. I should've never had you." She seethes out through her teeth.

"Never bring up your father again, you hear me?!"

I nod my head still not looking at her, "Yes ma'am."

*End Flashback*

"Arianna?" He asks, surprise written across his face.

"D-Dad." I stutter out.

"Come in, come in." He says opening the door a bit wider for Jaime and I to enter.

I walk in and take a view of the nicely decorated home, white marble floors with a white marble staircase along the left side. Paintings hung on the wall along with family pictures that I didn't care to look at.

"Well, let me take a look at you." He says getting me to turn around to face him.

"Beautiful, you've grown." I say nothing, trying not to blow up.

"And you are?" He asks turning to Jaime.

"Jaime Preciado, Arianna's boyfriend." He says extending out a hand for my dad to shake, to which my dad does.

"Well why don't we go into the dining room to talk?" He says gesturing to the room next to me.

We follow him in and take a seat in the cream colored sofas, Jaime sitting next to me and my dad across from us.

"What brought you here today?" He asks furrowing his eyebrows.

"Well I thought I'd like to meet my dad." I say with a pinch of sarcasm.

"Look Arianna I'm so-" He begins until I stop him.

"Don't start apologizing, I don't want them." I say startling him.

"Because if you were really sorry you wouldn't have left your daughter withsomeone as cruel as that woman I call mother." I get up from my spot on the sofa.

"You got away, I didn't. You don't know the pain I endured while being under her care, the yelling, the hitting, and the belittling she put me through every day of my life. So don't sit there and act like you suddenly give two shits about what happened to me." He looks at me with a sullen face.

"You don't know what it's like to be six years old and told that your father doesn't love you and that you're the reason he left, I was only six! I believed my whole life that you left because I did something wrong. You left me!" I say, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I went to bed every night wondering if you thought about me, wondered, and worried about my life. Only to be told that you didn't. I was six and I needed a daddy, to take me to the zoo, or career day with all the other kids' fathers. I was fifteen and I needed dad to tell me that the boy that broke my heart didn't deserve me, to give me a hug when I cried. Eighteen, when I graduated and no one was there to tell me they were proud of me. Where were you? Is that what you call being a family?"

The whole room was silent, none of us knowing what to say. I finally let out the anger I've kept in for so long.

"But you took my brother; he got to have a life, a good one at that." I say bitterly.

"Arianna..." He clears his throat and begins.

"I wanted to bring you with me; it killed me everyday knowing you were with her. She wouldn't let me take you, and when I tried fighting for you they didn't let me because you were so young." He says looking up at me from his spot of the chair.