"You signed with Redbull?!"

"Yes, and now I'm going to have to see him everywhere for three years." I was pulling at my hair, "I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it out alive, Carlos. Maybe I should break the contract."

"What?! Not a fucking chance, Elyse. You won't sabotage your career because of him." He pointed his index finger at me, in a warning way. "Fuck him, you're the strongest person I know and I'm 100% sure you'll get over him."

I shook my head, "It's not going to happen. Trust me."

"Why not? Tell me, I want to understand."

"When my mom died, an irreplaceable void was created inside of my heart. I was positive there would be no way to fill it, until Max found his way there. When I was with him, I didn't feel like waking up everyday was a chore but I rather felt free, like I could breathe. He even came to Spain when I relapsed, even though I kicked him out, but he still made the effort. Even when the whole world was against me, I knew I could count on him to be there for me, which was why I didn't drown. I genuinely believe that if he wasn't there for me every step of the way this year, I would've lost myself. And I think that's part of why I love him." I looked at the ground, "I love him, Carlos. I love him so fucking much that it physically hurts when I replay seeing him kissing her. I love him so much that I had to lie to Lewis about staying with Ashley just to spend two weeks with him, because I couldn't bare to stay away from him. I love him so much that any day spent with him was a good day, even if everything shitty happened. I love him so much I'm willing to go back to him if he gives me a good explanation." My chest heaved up and down as I caught my breath, "So, no. I don't think I could ever get over Max Verstappen."

Not many words were exchanged between us after that. And for the next week, I spent my time with Carlos and Isa until the final and determining race of the season approached...

-

I swear, I was going to kill Carlos

I was currently sprinting to the Ferrari garage to commit the crime. But I bumped into the wrong Ferrari driver.

"Hey, Charles. Would you be so kind to tell me where Carlos is?" I asked ever so kindly.

"He told me not to tell you." Charles seemed conflicted and I felt bad for the poor man.

"I'll tell you his phone passcode if you tell me where he is." I bribed and he was immediately interested.

"You'll find him in my driver's room."

"Thanks, Charlie. You're a real one. It's his birthday backwards, bye!" I rushed out as I continued my sprint.

"But I don't know when is his birthday!" I heard Charles yell but I was too focussed on finding Charles' room to answer.