twenty six.

ELYSE's POV

Anger.

I was enraged at the world. The looks of sympathy and pity stabbed me left and right as I walked through the paddock. Everyone was afraid to disturb me as if I was some fragile piece of glass.

News does travel quick around the paddock, and it wasn't long before everyone was aware of my mother's passing. That and the fact that every driver was wearing black for the whole weekend.

It even got to the point that there were some articles writing how it was safe to take me out of the championship equation since I'd be dealing with grief in my 'destructive' ways. They had to bring up my past too. I was told to stay off social media because of things like these but I had to know what people were saying. But instead of crying, it only fueled my temper.

The last time I cried was during the funeral. Ever since then, I've been rather short-tempered, the simplest things kept throwing me off. I literally had a raging fit this morning after my hair kept frizzing up.

However, I tried to maintain a clear mind since I was starting P5 and was hoping for a win. I even added a little 'See you on the other side' in Spanish at the top of my helmet.

The Ferrari's were looking quite competitive with Charles in P3 and Carlos in 4. Lewis claimed pole and Max was right behind him. It was going to be quite a tough race, but I was determined. Determined to make my mother proud and prove the belittlers wrong.

I was already in the lead by lap 15. And I could hear the roars of the crowd, louder than the sound of the engine. It was crazy.

Adrenaline in my veins boosted me further as I increased the gap between me and Max who was right behind me.

I was called into the pits, deciding to pit rather later at lap 35. Going on, I was behind Lewis in P3. I hated practically giving Max the lead but my tyres were near gone so I had to pit. I kept my head in the game, eventually passing Lewis and was battling Max.

COMMENTATOR's POV

"We could see Verstappen and Garcia getting closer and closer there." Crofty pointed out, "Garcia is having the race of her life today, and I don't think she's going to go down without a fight."

"Yeah I agree, Crofty, especially after her mother's death not even a week ago, I believe she's in better shape than we expected." Martin added.

"Well, we all know how the Spaniard manages to prove us wrong. It's happened time and time again."

"Oh! Would you look that?! Elyse passes Max at the Rettifilo Tribune straight. What an incredible move from her! Now we need to see if she can maintain her position for the remaining 5 laps of this race." Martin excitedly announced.

"I mean, with much fresher tyres it's basically a no brainer. But, knowing Verstappen, he won't give up here."  Crofty mentioned.

"Speaking of tyres—"

"Oh my goodness! I can't believe my eyes! Are you seeing what I'm seeing, Crofty?!"

"Oh, my! Elyse Garcia's left rear tyre rolls off, sending the Mercedes' into the barrier!" He exasperated, "She's out of the race with one lap remaining!"

ELYSE's POV

"Fuck this. Fuck everything. I'm going home." Was the last thing I said before shutting off the radio and throwing the steering wheel onto the gravel with as much force as I could muster.

I unbuckled my seatbelts, smacked the halo angrily and got out. I kicked the gravel repeatedly and pushed off any paramedics who kept trying to see if there was anything wrong with me.