Chapter 3: The Field Trip

Start from the beginning

I heard a loud and piercing scream that made me turn abruptly. Before me stood the same girl from yesterday, her eyes flooded with tears, a tremble in her voice. The words escaped her lips, "He raped me!" Her face was flushed with anger and distress, and as she came closer, I saw the pain etched on her face.  the girl went on to reveal - she was carrying a child!

The officers on site quickly swiveled their gaze toward my manager, who looked like a deer caught in headlights.

The room fell silent, and all we could hear were the manager's fervent denials, "I wouldn't touch you! I have a wife!" His voice was laced with bitterness and anger. The girl wasn't having any of it and sobbed out,

"Yeah, you won't be touching me since you know I have a child on the way." I could feel the tension in the air as the two continued to trade insults.

The manager scoffed, "You don't have proof!" his words were dripping with contempt.

As the officer questioned the manager, my mind raced with a twisted plan. I could sneak into the office and forge a check, while the chaos kept everyone occupied.

But then, the accuser pointed at me. "He saw the whole thing! Tell them what you saw!" she pleaded. All eyes turned towards me, and for a moment, I was paralyzed.

Glancing at my manager, I saw his lips move. "500 dollar bonus," he promised. He was trying to bribe me into staying quiet.

"I didn't see a damn thing," I told the officers without flinching. The accuser screamed at me, but I walked out of the store. It was like observing someone else's life, from a great distance.

As the night sky shone above, the chaotic sea of people blocked my view ahead, making me feel trapped, lost in a never-ending crowd. Just then, I glanced to my right, and there he was, the boy I have been seeing regularly whenever I got off work. He was clutching his backpack tightly, lost in his own world.

Feeling a sudden urge to break the silence, I asked him, "Do you have homework?" As I waited for his reply, I felt a wave of cringe wash over me when I didn't get an immediate answer. He took out his earbuds and looked at me, his eyes meeting mine.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" he asked.

"I asked if you had homework," I repeated. He chuckled, his face breaking into a smile, then walked faster to stand beside me.

"Nah, do you?" he asked me, his smile never fading.

"No, what I have is housework," I joked, and he laughed, emitting a deep, manly laugh making me think it was fake.

"I can relate. My mom is always on my ass about that shit. Hey, hey...I never saw you before. You look around my age. What school do you go to?" he asked, his voice full of curiosity and excitement..

As I walked down the busy street, I felt a sudden jolt of fear as a shadowy figure caught my attention. From the corner of my eye, I saw a black van slowly creeping up towards me, its tires squeaking ominously. The van seemed to be moving with a sense of purpose, and I knew that I had to act fast.

"I have to go," I blurted out, my voice trembling with fear as I tried to make sense of what was happening. With a sense of urgency, I started jogging ahead, trying to blend in with the sea of people all around me. Looking back, I scanned the crowd for any sign of the boy, but he was nowhere to be found.

Suddenly, I heard a loud noise behind me, and I turned to see the van's doors slamming shut with a thunderous bang. The metallic sound reverberated through the air like an animal closing its jaws after a meal. Fear gripped me as I watched the van speed off into the distance.

---

Back at the apartment, the morning sun filtered in through the window shades, casting a golden hue on everything in the room. Rachel was still lost in sleep, snuggled under the covers, her hair splayed across the pillow.

As for myself, I sat at the small kitchen table, exhausted from the night before. I leaned my head down, hoping to catch a few minutes of shut-eye, but then it hit me like a wave - Rachel was leaving for her trip today, and she probably hadn't packed yet.

I jolted up, scanning the room frantically for any signs of a suitcase. When I finally laid eyes on it, I breathed a sigh of relief. Without wasting any more time, I started to pack some of her clothes into the suitcase. I made sure to tuck in some extra cash, just in case she needed it. Feeling satisfied with my work, I trudged back over to the small kitchen table and collapsed onto the chair.

A few hours later, I was jolted awake by the sound of the shower running. I rubbed my eyes, trying to shake off the last vestiges of sleep. Within a few minutes, Rachel emerged from the bathroom, looking stunning in her travel outfit.

"I thought you'd be at work still," she said, a smile spreading across her face.

"I took the day off to see you off," I replied, returning her smile.

A look of distress suddenly crossed her face. She gripped the roots of her hair tightly, "I forgot to pack," she whispered to herself.

"It's fine, I did it for you," I said, trying to reassure her.

Her face lit up with relief, "You're the best," she said, her smile returning.

I took her suitcase in my hand and she grabbed mine. Hand in hand, we walked out of the apartment onto the busy sidewalk below. Rachel went on and on about how happy she was, and I felt a warmth spread over me that I hadn't felt in a long time - it was the warmth of love.

Finally, after what felt like hours, we manage to reach the front of the school. There, a yellow bus looms ahead, with a throng of kids and parents assisting their little ones onto the bus.

Excitement builds up in Rachel's voice, "This is my class!" she yelps as she dashes off to join them. Her friends surround her with hugs and waves. But, I noticed one boy, perhaps a bit too eager, hugging Rachel for a tad too long. As he lingers in her embrace, his grip tightening, Rachel's teacher pops up from nowhere to block my view of them.

I hand Rachel's teacher the signed permission slip and the money. "Did her mother sign it?" Miss Adams probes, her eyes drilling into mine. Her voice, laced with suspicion.

"Yes," I replied, my tone calm. "I already said it's signed."

Her expression unyielding, Miss Adams persisted. "I haven't seen her mother...where is she?"

A hint of a smile tugs at my lips as I respond, "Shouldn't you be on the bus right now?" She grunts and shuffles away, boarding the bus. Seconds later, the wheels of the bus begin to roll, taking Rachel and her classmates on their field trip.