Chapter 27. A Real Gem

Start from the beginning

"Are you thinking about her?" Urchin inquired as they continued along the trail.

"Perhaps," Theo admitted with a smile. "Why does it matter?"

"Because I've never seen you so deeply in love with any other woman," Urchin remarked, giving him a knowing look. "She's brilliant, and if you let her slip away now, it would be a colossal mistake."

Theo glanced around, taking in his surroundings. Prior to that day, he and Ann had agreed to avoid discussing 'what happens afterwards' and instead focus on the mission at hand. However, Urchin's words struck a chord, prompting Theo to connect the dots. "Her life is here," he began, "but I'm willing to give it a try and accept your generous offer to stay in Middle Lake."

Urchin's eyes widened. "Seriously? I can't believe you've finally decided to pursue a serious relationship."

"Perhaps I've found the perfect reason to embrace this commitment. Of course, if she agrees."

Urchin chuckled. "Who knows? A woman's heart is the greatest mystery of all."

* * * * *

The evening wind caressed the mountaintop, creating a serene atmosphere. Ann sat by the edge of the cliff, her gaze fixed on the golden clouds drifting before the setting sun. Beside her, Theo provided a comforting presence, soothing her racing heart. She had changed out of her white dress into a simple white blouse adorned with a leather corsage, hoping to present herself well for him.

Rei, the dragon, soared freely in the sky, playfully darting through the golden clouds with his powerful and agile body.

"Do you know why I brought you here?" Theo asked, breaking the peaceful silence.

Resting her head on his shoulder, Ann found solace in his presence, even as the impending farewell loomed over them. "Because everything started here, and it was meant to end here."

Theo gently took her hand, and Ann couldn't help but notice how small her palm seemed in comparison to his. "Perhaps it doesn't have to end," he suggested. "What if this is just the beginning of something new?"

A smile tugged at Ann's lips, "I'm not ready to get married anytime soon." Her joke carried a tinge of sadness that she couldn't hide.

"Okay, so we're on the same page. But what about a relationship?"

Ann returned his gaze. "How is that possible? You live so far away –"

"I have a dragon, remember? So, I'll figure it out. I can fly to Mountville every weekend to see you. It could be an adventure, something fun for us."

A glimmer of excitement danced in Ann's eyes. "That sounds great. Except... you'll have to fly to Middle Lake."

Confusion flickered across Theo's face. "What do you mean?"

"I'm going to Middle Lake in September," Ann revealed. "To study."

"I thought your life was here. The school is about to open."

"I opened it for Marie," Ann clarified. "She's a certified specialist. Meanwhile, I'm just a novice with a collection of books I've read. I'm not even qualified to be a principal."

"But you've been teaching art for years," Theo pointed out.

"True, but now I can legally work with children only. It was a good starting point, but I want to do more. I've been reading about art therapy, and it has inspired me to work with people who have experienced trauma." A smile spread across her face as Ann revealed her secret plan, one she had kept hidden until this very moment, hardly daring to believe it could ever come true. "Theo, I've realized how much art therapy can truly help others. So, I made the decision to study in Middle Lake. I wrote a letter to the University of Art, and they accepted me. My classes will start in September."

"But what about your school?"

Ann smiled warmly. "Well... Marie and I've decided to hire several talented teachers to maintain the school. As for me, with the knowledge and qualifications I'll acquire, I'll be able to implement a healing program for the youth. It's a way for me to combine my passion for art and helping others."

Theo's eyes filled with adoration. "Have I ever told you how amazing you are?"

A hint of uncertainty tinged Ann's voice as she asked, "Do you think it will work? My dreams, I mean."

"I believe that with your dedication and passion, it will work out brilliantly. And on top of that, I have some news too. I recently accepted a job offer, and for the next year, I'll be living in Middle Lake."

Ann's heart skipped a beat. "Really? So we can be together?"

"If that's what you want."

A radiant smile graced Ann's face. "Of course, I want to be with you."

"Then let's see where this journey takes us," Theo said before he leaned in to kiss her.

~ • ~  The End  ~ • ~

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. Thank you, guys, for being with me all these months! I really appreciate you! 🤗❤❤❤
If you recommend this read to your friends, it will be very helpful for me!