Chapter 18. A Fall in the Abyss

High above the ground, the wind was cold, whistling in Ann's ears as they soared over the mountain tops. Theo's arms wrapped around her from behind, radiating warmth that chased away the chill. Being close to him like this made her forget about everything – the guilt, the urge to confess her sins. Also, it was a spectacular trip, and she didn't want to ruin it. Maybe I must confess after we return home? It seemed like a reasonable solution, and Ann leaned back into him, savoring the moment.

As they reached the flat mountain top, Rei swooped down, his paws gracefully landing on the rocks. He ran a few more steps, gradually slowing down before coming to a stop at the edge of the abyss. Ann instinctively covered her mouth with her hand, stifling a scream.

Theo dismounted and extended a hand to help Ann down to the ground. As her feet touched the hard surface, they momentarily gave way beneath her.

Quickly, Theo caught her in his embrace. "Careful."

"I'm okay. My head must be spinning from the flying, but I'll be just fine." She locked her eyes with Theo's, unable to shake the desire to taste his lips. Perhaps that was the real reason behind her dizziness.

His hands gently pushed her away, forcing her to regain her composure. "Feeling better now?"

"Yes, a little bit."

Theo nodded in understanding and walked towards the edge, allowing Ann to take in the surroundings. Standing on the giant flat rock, she couldn't help but suspect that this was the very mountain where she had tragically lost her mother five years ago. She hadn't returned to this place since that fateful day, but now, all of a sudden, painful memories flooded her thoughts, tearing her heart apart.

Ann clutched the red shawl tightly, its lingering scent of peonies providing a small comfort. Fearful of what she might discover, she cautiously approached the edge, holding her breath. And there, below on the trail, lay her mother, her limbs twisted at unnatural angles.

Driven by her instinct to help, Ann hurried down the mountain, her heart pounding in her chest. Her mother's eyes were wide open, filled with fear, as the wind gently tousled her fiery-orange hair. Ann sank to her knees, embracing her mother, but it was too late – she was no longer breathing. Her frozen gaze stared into the cloudy sky. Her skin, once warm, now felt cold. Too cold. Ann tenderly closed her mother's eyelids and draped the shawl over her lifeless form.

In a state of prostration, Ann tried to calm her trembling body, but her mind refused to fully grasp the reality before her. Her mother's last words echoed in her thoughts, "The pointless usage of power might have terrible consequences." If only Ann had known the price she would have to pay...

Lost in her sorrow, Ann had no sense of time passing. The sun was now descending towards the horizon, casting elongated shadows. But none of it mattered to her. There was no way she could return home, not after the unforgivable act she had committed...

"Annie?" The sound of approaching footsteps startled Ann, causing her to wipe away her tears and turn around. It was John Ruswelt, her classmate whom she had once danced with at the winter ball. She had pushed him away afterwards, but he had clung to her like a baby duck following its mother. At times, Ann felt a twinge of sympathy for him and tried to be friendly. She had even invited him to her house for her birthday party... It all seemed like a distant memory now.

"What are you doing here?" Ann asked, her voice barely audible.

"I was invited for dinner, remember?" John furrowed his brow, his gaze falling upon the shawl that covered Ann's mother. "What happened?"