Chapter 24. A Tricky Role

Start from the beginning

The door creaked open slightly, and Ann entered, her expression filled with concern. "Hey! Is everything okay?"

Theo nodded and closed the door once more. "Sorry for the delay."

"It's okay." She hugged his waist, allowing him to finally kiss her lips.

"I missed you so much," Theo whispered between kisses. He wished he could stay with her like this and ignore all the impending danger. But such recklessness would be unwise.

"What took you so long?" she asked as they parted.

"Firstly, I spent some time choosing a present for you," he began, reaching into his chest pocket. He revealed a thin silver bracelet adorned with a clear, transparent crystal.

"A Calling Crystal?" she exclaimed, a smile lighting up her face.

"Yes. Now we can call each other and talk whenever we want," he explained, his own smile mirroring hers.

Overwhelmed with joy, she extended her hand, allowing him to put the crystal bracelet on her wrist. As Ann wasn't looking directly at him, it provided an opportunity for Theo to whisper the real reason for his delay. "Also, I discovered who sent that poisonous snake that caused your uncle's death."

She gasped, her free hand instinctively resting on her chest. "What are you trying to say?"

"Your uncle was murdered. By John," he revealed.

She stared at him in disbelief.

Theo placed his hands on her shoulders, offering support as she grappled with the shock. He wished he could give her more time to process the information he was about to share. "Annie, I need you to focus now. Can you do that?"

"I... I'll try," she replied weakly, her voice trembling.

"Good. Because I need you to set up the wedding with John."

Her eyelashes fluttered as the seconds ticked by, her mind processing the weight of Theo's words. Theo held her shoulders, his voice low as he whispered his plan, hoping she would comprehend the difficult situation they were in. "Sunshine, I would do anything to protect you from this mess. But we lack concrete evidence against him. So far, we only know he forged your uncle's signature to send a parcel with a poisonous snake to your uncle."

"Isn't that enough to have him arrested?"

Theo shook his head sadly. "I consulted with a lawyer, and the answer is 'no.' In court, John could argue that he had no idea the snake was inside. Also, he can state he asked the hotel worker to send the parcel because Gregory had requested it. Unfortunately, Gregory won't be there to refute that claim. And as for John, the only 'crime' he would be held accountable for is the forgery of a signature, which carries a mere penalty. His reputation is too pristine for him to face imprisonment."

"But he sent a murder weapon to our house!" she protested, her eyes widening in disbelief. "Anyone could get hurt, including me!"

"Maybe that's why he stood close to you that morning, making sure you wouldn't touch it," Theo suggested. "Listen, John is smart. When he was planning it, he calculated all his moves and possible consequences. But he is too cunning to admit to anything. It's a loose end. As I said, I suspect he will claim that he never opened the parcel, suggesting that the snake ended up there by accident. We can never prove that someone from the plant farm intentionally placed the snake there. That farm is located in another Kingdom, and there would be no motive for the farmers to harm their clients."

She knitted her eyebrow. "But why would marriage be a solution?"

Theo wished he could offer a different answer. "I pondered over this all night, Annie. This is the quickest way to make him confess. You see, the only thing he truly cares about is you."