Chapter 18. A Fall in the Abyss

Zacznij od początku

Ann continued to stare at John, her mind consumed by thoughts of her friends she had invited to her birthday. Among them, only John had made the effort to come and check on her. She couldn't deceive him. If he despised her after learning the truth, she believed she deserved it.

"I... I killed her," Ann whispered.

Without pressing for more details, John approached and gently touched her mother's body. He checked for a pulse on her neck, then let out a heavy sigh.

Ann watched him in silence, unable to find the words to express her guilt.

Turning to face her, John spoke. "Listen, I trust you completely. I know you would never do something like this intentionally. It must have been an accident, right?"

Tears welled up in Ann's eyes as she shook her head, her vision of John becoming blurry. "I... I caused the rain... The trail became slippery... And she fell..." Her voice cracked, and Ann buried her face in her hands.

John's hand on her shoulder offered a comforting presence. "It's not your fault, Annie. I'll be there for you."

"I don't need your help. I did it! I'm the murderer!" Ann shouted, her hands flailing in the air, the wind around them intensifying. The sound of the wind drowned out John's voice.

John grasped her hands. "Please, calm down! Your Gift can harm me!"

Exhaustion etched across her face, Ann reluctantly forced her hands to relax, allowing John to continue holding them.

"You're in shock right now, and that's understandable given what happened. Let's go home and talk about it. We'll face this together. I promise, I won't leave you alone," he pleaded, pressing a gentle kiss to her hands. "Please, say something."

Ann nodded. "Okay."

As the wind brushed against her face, Ann's attention was drawn to Theo, who stood at the edge, observing her. Why has he brought me here? She approached, maintaining a safe distance. She reminded herself once again that Theo was a guardian on duty, and it was best not to test his patience, especially after John's promise to file a complaint against him.

Instead, Ann focused her gaze on the horizon. Despite the somber memories that haunted her, she couldn't deny the breathtaking view from this vantage point. The distant mountain peaks, adorned with a delicate layer of snow, resembled fluffy marshmallows. Waterfalls cascaded below, creating a multitude of shimmering rainbows. Rei gracefully soared between the rocks, his powerful wings propelling him upwards, only to swiftly descend with the speed of a predator when he folded them against his sides.

"Is he hunting?" Ann asked.

"You seem to know a lot about dragons," Theo remarked. "You're quite smart."

"Oh, please." Ann waved her hand dismissively, attempting to alleviate the mounting pressure within her. Theo's flattery was evident, but she couldn't understand his motives.

Suddenly, Theo reached out and touched her chin, causing Ann to look up at him. His deep, sky-blue eyes bore into hers. "I know that you lied to me. About the antidote bottle."

Her breath caught in her throat. Last night, as they sat by the fireplace, she had shared everything she could recall about her time with Uncle Greg. Everything except for the part where she had taken the cursed antidote bottle. Ann had numerous opportunities to reveal the truth, but she had let them slip away. Now, she was backed into a corner.

"Why did you lie to me?"

Theo's question sent a shiver down Ann's spine. The sight of his deep disappointment was unbearable, causing her physical pain. She couldn't bear to meet his gaze and lowered her eyes.

"I'm so sorry. It's all my fault," she whispered, tears streaming down her face. She made no attempt to wipe them away. Once again, she found herself in that dark place, uttering the words that had tormented her for the past five years. Now, she was saying them aloud. "You're right. It was me who killed them," she sobbed, unable to contain herself. "I just bring death to everyone I love – my uncle, my mother... I don't know who else will suffer because of me, so I must be stopped."

Theo took a step back, his silhouette becoming blurred through the veil of tears.

"Will you... arrest me now?"

"I will," Theo replied, stepping back but stumbling over a small rock. He began waving his hands, his body tilting at an awkward angle. Before Ann could react, he lost his balance and fell backward into the abyss.

"Noooo!" Ann's voice cracked as she fell to her knees, her hands reaching out towards the sky. She summoned every ounce of her strength to control the cruel wind that had just snatched Theo away.

Consequences be damned, all she wanted was to bring him back. She refused to let him meet the same fate as her mother, who had fallen and perished on these very rocks. Tears streamed down her face as she cried out, her desperation pushing her magic to its limits.

The air around her twisted and screamed, echoing the pain in her heart. A tornado began to form, swirling around the mountain, capturing smaller rocks and clouds of dust in its vortex. The wind grew stronger, causing larger rocks to fly overhead. Sitting at the center of the tornado, Ann pushed her powers higher and higher, battling against the dizziness that threatened to overwhelm her. She didn't relent, even as warm blood trickled from her nose.

Finally, the tornado lifted Theo and gently placed him at her feet as if answering her desperate plea.

Completely drained of energy, Ann allowed her hands to fall and closed her eyes, seeking a moment of respite. The weight of exhaustion made it impossible for her to open her heavy eyelids again.

"Annie!" Theo's voice was filled with urgency as his warm hands shook her shoulders.

She managed a weak smile. "You're alive."

"Yes, but we need to leave this place. Now!"

The once tumultuous air around them began to calm. The flapping of the dragon's wings nearby stirred up waves of dust, causing Ann to cough. She blinked, attempting to focus her vision. The tornado she had created had transformed into a raging hurricane, swirling the clouds high above their heads with the same intensity her mother used to mix cream in a bowl to make butter.

"I couldn't save my mom, but I saved you," she murmured.

"Alright, I see. This ordeal has taken a toll on you," Theo said, his gaze filled with concern. "Please, try to rest now."

With gentle strength, Theo lifted Ann and climbed onto Rei's back. Cradled in his arms, she allowed herself to surrender to her weariness, letting the battle against exhaustion be won by sleep.

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

To be continued...

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. Theo is safe, guys 😊. But what do you think will become of Ann? Will she be arrested now, after she hid the truth?