Chapter 15. A Cost of Healing

Start from the beginning

"So I just happened to be passing by, looking for a doctor, and thought I'd ask you where his office is," Theo explained.

"We only have one clinic here," Elajio pointed to the west. "After the corner, turn right, then walk to the end of the street. If he's available, he'll help you."

"Thank you!" Theo prepared to walk away, but Elajio interrupted his attempt to leave so quickly.

"Why the clinic? I can give you some herbs," Elajio offered.

Herbs to poison me? Or a potion to make me forget this morning? No, thanks. Theo gave him a sharp look. "I have allergies, so it's better for me to seek professional help."

"You know better," Elajio shrugged. "If there's anything else –"

"No, I'm good," Theo waved his hand. "I guess I'll see you later."

"Sure."

Theo walked down the porch, and Elajio closed the door and locked it. Hmm... This town was strange. Even though it had a low level of crime, everyone seemed to keep their doors locked. Theo shook his head. That observation could wait. For now, he had a new lead. It appeared that Marie and Elajio had argued about their criminal scheme, but he doubted that Marie would come to her senses and confess everything to Annie. Therefore, he had to find the doctor and extract a confession from him. Then, he would have something against Marie that he could use to arrest her.

* * * * *

The doctor's office smelled of dried herbs and alcohol, causing Theo to cringe inwardly. This atmosphere reminded him of times when he was weak and almost helpless. Just like now, with this case. It had been thirty hours since his arrival in Mountville, meaning nearly half of his time was already gone. He had to make the most of the remaining time.

He walked along the cabinets with glass doors, observing the potions inside that claimed to cure almost every disease. The collection of medicine potions was vast, presenting everything except for the forbidden mixtures. Theo let out a sigh. He wished he could just obtain a truth serum and question all the suspects. However, potions that affected the mind were dangerous, as their ingredients could have severe consequences for the brain, ranging from permanent memory loss to paralysis. That's why even guardians used them with caution, only resorting to them when someone's life was in grave danger. During interrogations, some criminals were so afraid of ingesting such a potion that they preferred to tell the truth rather than risk taking it.

The door opened, and a man in a white robe with red heart embroidery walked in. His head was gray, and he wore round glasses that made his tired pale-blue eyes appear larger.

"Please, have a seat," the doctor smiled at him.

Theo settled into a plush chair positioned by the desk.

The doctor took his seat and clasped his palms together. "I haven't seen you before. Where are you from?"

"Triville," Theo explained, feeling impatient to skip the formalities. "I live and work there."

"It's quite far away! What brought you to Mountville?"

"I was on vacation and decided to explore these beautiful mountains," Theo replied, adjusting the collar of his black shirt. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to wear his detective uniform today. Now the doctor might become suspicious.

"Let me guess," the doctor narrowed his large eyes. "You have a headache due to the elevation."

Theo gripped the chair handles tightly. This man was either exceptionally perceptive or... Elajio had already contacted him and warned him about Theo's visit. The tip of a Calling crystal peeked out from the doctor's chest pocket, confirming Theo's suspicions. He narrowed his eyes in response. "You're aware that aiding criminals is a crime, doctor?"