"May I ask why you left the city? With your education and experience, the capital would offer numerous better opportunities," Theo probed.

"How much money is enough, Theo?" John asked, rolling the glass between his palms.

Theo scoffed, never considering the question as he had never been wealthy. But he knew that he didn't need much to be happy. "I suppose everyone has their own needs."

"Needs. Exactly," John emphasized, pointing his index finger towards the ceiling. "You'd be surprised how many people mistake their greed for needs. Greed knows no bounds. As an investor, I've learned this well. My role is to appeal to my clients' common sense and advise them on when to exercise restraint. After all, money shouldn't be the ultimate goal. It's merely a tool for achieving our dreams. And for me, I've always aspired to be a man who can provide for his family."

"So you've become that kind of man," Theo suggested.

"Through hard work, yes," John affirmed. "Once I had earned enough to start a family and establish a reputation that would allow me to continue my work anywhere I desired, I returned to Mountville. To my true gem."

A gem? Theo wondered if John was referring to his collection of diamonds.

Noticing Theo's puzzled expression, John quickly clarified, "I'm talking about Ann. Everything I do is for her. She means everything to me."

A fresh wave of jealousy washed over Theo. The sincerity in John's voice made it difficult to maintain his suspicions. Despite his initial doubts about John's intentions towards Ann and her wealth, Theo had taken precautions before coming to this dinner. He had contacted his friend, Urchin, requesting a thorough investigation into John and Ann's other acquaintances. Urchin had promised to search through all available records to uncover any information that could aid the investigation. While Theo anticipated some findings about John, he couldn't help but be swayed by John's apparent sincerity.

"You know what's peculiar?" John asked. "After Ann inherited her uncle's wealth following his accident, I had to postpone our engagement. Everyone suspects me of dishonesty. But should I reject the woman I love just to prove them wrong?"

"Of course not," Theo replied, though he wasn't entirely sure why. Perhaps it was partly due to his own guilt. After all, he had dared to flirt with the woman John loved, which was unacceptable, especially now that he was learning more about the man.

John leaned in closer, his voice dropping to a whisper. "Then help me."

"How?" Theo asked, intrigued.

John gave him a sly look. "I have a feeling you'll be checking up on me anyway. My bank accounts, my business status. Just to uncover my true motives."

Theo swallowed, realizing that John was not one to harbor illusions about others. He knew exactly what Theo was planning. "Let's suppose I will. What then?"

"I just thought... perhaps you could share whatever you find with Ann. Just to ease her worries," John suggested.

It wasn't within Theo's usual code of conduct to make such promises, but he found it difficult to refuse. "I'll do what I can."

"Thank you," John said, a genuine smile finally gracing his face. "Now, as we're discussing this investigation, I have something to share with you. In the evening, we had dinner with Uncle Greg. I overheard Marie and Elajio discussing how to steal the black diamond collection."

Theo gasped in disbelief. "What?! Did they realize you were listening?"

"Not immediately," John clarified. "And I'm fairly certain they were joking. Elajio told Ann that the best way to steal the diamonds was to wait until she inherited them, then marry her. It's a thorn in my side, to say the least." He glanced towards the kitchen door and adjusted his tie. "Anyway, since you'll be investigating the witnesses, it's only fair to examine all of us."

"It certainly would be," Theo agreed, grateful for John's willingness to share this information. "Thank you for being forthcoming. Rest assured, I will diligently follow every lead I come across."

Right on cue, a knock sounded at the door. Both men froze, knowing it was likely Ann and Marie returning from their shopping trip.

Elajio emerged from the kitchen, holding a large wooden spoon in his hand. The spoon and the upper part of his apron were stained with red sauce, resembling blood. "Are you guys too busy or what?! I can't be a chef and a doorman at the same time!"

"But it's your house," John replied nonchalantly, cutting off any further argument.

Elajio grumbled and made his way to the door to greet his wife and the stunningly beautiful woman Theo had ever laid eyes on – Ann. She wore an elegant dress that showcased her shoulders, making her resemble a goddess.

Theo stood by the window, unable to tear his gaze away from her. As she entered, John enveloped her in an embrace and kissed her cheek. Ann smiled at her fiancé, a gesture that felt like a knife slicing through Theo's heart.

Theo clenched his teeth, determined not to let his foolish instincts interfere with the investigation. He had to push thoughts of Ann out of his mind and remain professional.

Ann gave him a warm look, and he nodded in response. Then, before she could approach him, he turned and followed Marie into the dining room.

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

To be continued...

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. Do you think John hides anything from Theo?