Chapter 8. Beyond the Mountains

Start from the beginning

"And yet, you invited him to dinner."

"That was before we met Theo," Marie explained. "There's... I'm not sure how to put it exactly, but there's definitely a spark between you two."

"A spark?" Ann couldn't help but smile. Even though she knew Theo was supposed to maintain his professional distance, it was still enjoyable to indulge in this 'What If' game. She saw no harm in imagining how things could have unfolded between them. After all, it was just a game, and it helped Ann momentarily set aside her worries.

"Yes, and that spark can grow into a flame if you allow it," Marie said, settling into a comfortable chair after finishing with the dresses. "There's a saying that suits you perfectly – 'If the prophet doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain goes to him.'"

Ann laughed, slightly confused. "What does that even mean?"

"It means that our Annie is so determined to stay in her hometown that her Prince Charming flew across the kingdom to find her."

Ann took a seat in a nearby chair. "Do you think I would have met him sooner if I had traveled?"

Marie shrugged. "Who knows? If he happened to live in the capital, your paths might have crossed. We can actually find out more at dinner."

Ann bit her lip, imagining how different her life might have been if she had taken more risks. The problem was that every time she attempted to use her Gift and take a chance, something terrible happened. First, her mother, and then her uncle... Ann placed her hand on her chest, trying to calm her aching heart. She felt the tears welling up, threatening to spill over.

"Oh, my poor Annie," Marie sympathized, gently stroking her hand. "You shouldn't be afraid of change. Maybe John is a comfortable and reliable option, and you could spend the rest of your life here, by his side, surrounded by the mountains. But let your heart make the choice now. Trust me, the world beyond these mountains is vast and full of excitement."

"Maybe," Ann replied in a somber tone. "But what if this guardian ends up breaking my heart?"

"Then, we'll cry together and move on," Marie reassured her with a small smile. "Darling, regretting your mistakes is better than regretting missed opportunities. I've made many wrong choices with men, but eventually, I met Elajio, and all the painful experiences lost their bitterness. Now, when I think back to how much I worried about unworthy men, it only brings a smile to my face."

"You and Elajio are an amazing couple," Ann admitted. "Sometimes I can't help but envy you."

"Don't," Marie cautioned. "We have our problems too. No relationship is perfect."

Ann raised her eyebrows in concern. "You never told me about it. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"No, it's nothing serious. Don't worry about it," Marie replied, her eyes becoming moist. She quickly wiped away the tears with the back of her palm. Before Ann could inquire further, Marie stood up. "Let's go home. The guys are probably waiting for us, hungry and maybe a little annoyed."

Ann nodded, noticing that her time crystal shimmered a light blue, indicating it was already six o'clock. The day had been busy, and time seemed to have flown by. Since morning, she had only made a quick stop at her house to ask her servant to prepare a guest house for Theo and a barn for Rei. Then she and Marie visited a hair salon and a dress shop. Now, it was time to head to dinner. As for Marie and her issues with Elajio, Ann decided to bring it up later, at a more appropriate time. After all, everyone needed some space and time to come to terms with their struggles. Ann understood this better than anyone.

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖