Chapter 7. A Drawn Suspect

Start from the beginning

A woman in the front row raised her hand, catching Theo's attention. He looked at her expectantly. She was a tall brunette with charcoal-black eyes, her red lips slightly parted in curiosity. As she approached Theo, her friend followed closely behind.

There was a warmth that spread through Theo's chest as he looked at the other woman. Perhaps it was her simple yet elegant beauty that captivated him. Her flaxen hair and alabaster skin, adorned with a natural blush, glistened in the sunlight. When their eyes met, he felt a desire to get to know her better, to ask her out on a date. However, he knew that in a small town like Mountville, such actions were not appropriate, especially with all eyes on them. Duty always must go first, Theo reminded himself. So stop staring at her.

Theo shifted his gaze to the brunette. "I'm listening."

The brunette responded with a charming smile. "I'm sorry, but Mountville doesn't have a Guardian House. The chief's office is located near the library. We refer to it as the 'Guardian Station'."

Theo nodded in understanding. It made sense why he had struggled to locate the facility on the map. Some towns and villages were simply too small to warrant a dedicated Guardian House. In such places, a small team of four or five guardians could handle the tasks at hand. "Thank you, kind lady."

She chuckled at his choice of words. "Please, just call me Marie."

"Thank you, Marie." Theo offered her a polite smile and an attentive gaze.

Observing the wedding ring on Marie's left hand, Theo deduced that she was married. Additionally, her willingness to approach him first indicated that she likely had a good reputation within the community. She could potentially be a valuable source of information regarding the crime he was investigating. Furthermore, he couldn't help but feel curious about Marie's attractive friend, and he considered the possibility of becoming more familiar with her.

"Would you mind showing me the way?" Theo asked, his eyes shifting between Marie and her friend. "If it's not too much trouble, of course."

The blonde friend exchanged glances with Marie before finally looking at Theo.

"What about your dragon?" she asked. Her voice was soft and melodic, reminiscent of the ringing of silver bells, causing a pleasant tickle on his skin.

Theo tightened his grip on the reins. "Rei will accompany me. I just need to find a suitable hotel with a spacious yard."

"But he might find it uncomfortable to navigate these narrow streets," the blonde explained, batting her long eyelashes.

"She's right," Marie chimed in. "You and Rei can stay at her place."

The blonde's face registered shock at the suggestion. "Mine?"

Marie shrugged. "Why not? You live alone, and you have a large, empty barn."

"That's true," the blonde murmured. After a moment of hesitation, she extended her hand and gently patted Rei, who responded with a contented purr.

Theo smiled. His dragon wasn't particularly fond of attention from strangers, but he never minded receiving affection from such lovely young women.

"Would it be appropriate?" Theo whispered to the blonde.

She gave him a sly look and whispered back, "Why not?"

"Why are we talking like this?" Marie hissed, interrupting their exchange.

Theo locked eyes with the blonde, and they both burst into laughter. He found himself genuinely enjoying her company. He wondered what her name was, but before he could ask, Marie intervened.