Chapter 7. A Drawn Suspect

Start from the beginning

During the funeral, her friends had stood by her side, offering their condolences and pity. But pity was not what she needed. She craved their support, for the inaction surrounding her uncle's death was unbearable. "Perhaps all of you think I'm going mad."

"No one thinks that," Marie reassured her, carefully gathering the scattered drawings. Dozens of sketches depicted the same snake from various angles. Marie sighed as she organized the drawings back into the album, refraining from passing judgment. Ann felt a deep sense of gratitude for her understanding.

"Can you please... keep my drawings a secret?" Ann asked. "I don't want to worry anyone unnecessarily."

"Of course. But in return, I need you to do me a favor."

"What is it?"

"Set aside these troubling thoughts for one evening and join us for dinner," Marie suggested. "Elajio is cooking pasta tonight."

"Pasta sounds yummy," Ann agreed. Though her appetite had waned in recent days, the idea of spending time with her friends seemed wise. It was far better than dining alone in her uncle's vast empty house. Despite inheriting his mansion, Ann still couldn't truly call it her home. With her entire family gone, it had transformed into a museum of painful memories.

"Awesome." Marie smiled. "We've also invited John."

"Why?"

"Darling, he is our friend too, and you can't ignore him forever."

Ann lowered her gaze. Since the tragic day, she had barely spoken to John, mainly because he served as a constant reminder of her own carelessness. Ann had come to realize that if her uncle Greg had received the antidote in time, he might have been saved.

However, Ann carried the potion with her during that ill-fated horse ride. The weight of guilt bore down on her, almost suffocating her. She doubted she would ever be able to forgive herself. It was easier to avoid John and immerse herself in drawing snakes, attempting to convince herself that a mysterious murderer was responsible for her uncle's death. Sometimes, this narrative provided temporary solace, easing her pain.

As her somber mood persisted, a colossal shadow loomed over the hill.

"Bite me!" Marie exclaimed, her mouth half-opened as she gazed up at the sky.

Ann lifted her eyes, and her heart skipped a beat. A dragon. It was a magnificent creature, adorned in shades of mesmerizing blue, the very dragon she had always dreamt of encountering but had never been fortunate enough to witness. However, the presence of a dragon hovering above her hometown was not the strangest part. A young man, donning a black uniform, rode atop the dragon. Ann caught a glimpse of his flame-orange hair before he vanished from sight. "A guardian?! What is he doing here?"

"Let's find out," Marie urged, grasping Ann's hand as they hurried towards the town. There, the blue dragon circled above the central plaza, captivating the attention of all who beheld it.

* * * * *

As soon as Theo and Rei landed in the central square, a crowd quickly formed around them. The people were captivated by the sight of Rei, the dragon, but they kept a safe distance, unable to tear their eyes away.

Sensing the overwhelming attention, Rei exhaled through his nostrils, releasing two clouds of smoke as a warning. The crowd gasped collectively, taken aback by the display.

Theo gently patted the dragon's side. "Remember what we discussed, Rei. Please, behave."

Rei let out a sigh and obediently settled down, showcasing his good manners. Theo smiled in approval before addressing the crowd. "Greetings, residents of Mountville! Can anyone guide me to your Guardian House?"