Chapter 6. Perfect Crime

Start from the beginning

"Thus, Ann got rid of her uncle," Urchin guessed, piecing together the ending of this theory. "By doing so, she could portray herself as a poor victim, buying herself time to delay the marriage."

"Or even use her 'mourning' as an excuse to call off the wedding altogether," Theo added.

Urchin nodded. "It all makes so much sense now. Wow, you have a sharp eye!"

"Thanks, man," Theo replied, his smile widening with flattery. "I just need to confirm my suspicions. I think Ann doesn't even expect anyone to come and investigate this case."

"I'm sure she would be surprised by your visit." Urchin chuckled. "But solving this case in just three days seems unrealistic. You might need more time."

"You want to make a bet?" Theo proposed.

Urchin studied him for what felt like an eternity before finally responding. "Fine. If you manage to crack this case within three days, I'll give you my position here."

Theo blinked, taken aback by the offer. Since graduating from the Academy, Urchin had achieved an impressive career. His dedication and eloquence had earned him the title of the youngest Lieutenant in the history of the Guardian House. Theo couldn't believe that he might have the opportunity to take Urchin's place so quickly. It was a remarkable chance for his own career advancement. However, with such a generous offer, the stakes were undeniably high. "And if I fail?"

Urchin smirked. "Then you will owe me a dinner."

"Just a dinner?"

"With the most expensive bottle of whiskey in the restaurant of my choice."

Theo paused, considering the terms of the bet. He knew he couldn't afford such an extravagant wager, but the thrill of the risk was invigorating. It fueled his determination to dive headfirst into the investigation. "Deal."

* * * * *

Stepping outside, Theo entered the spacious front yard where Rei, his dragon companion, was basking in the sun on the grass. Rei was an adult reptile, about the size of a mule, with a long body adorned in shimmering blue scales and two massive wings. A temperature-resistant saddle was securely fastened to his back.

Theo and Rei often embarked on long rides together, as hunting had become an inevitable part of their lives. It was how Rei preferred to obtain his meals. But now, they had a different kind of hunt ahead of them – to track down Ann.

Rei lazily lifted his head as Theo approached, welcoming the gentle pat on his scales. "Are you ready for a journey, buddy?"

The dragon gave him a curious look and let out a small yawn, signaling his agreement.

Theo chuckled and scratched a soft spot behind Rei's ears. "I knew you wouldn't mind. Let's find Ann Storm and uncover what she's up to."

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. Did you miss Rei? 🤗🐉