The Goddess Awakened - Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

"Don't you ever scare me like that again. You're all I have. I don't -." He cut off, letting loose a choked sob. "I can't lose you. Do you understand me?"

She nodded into his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Daddy. I didn't mean to . I was just saving the kitten."

He sighed loudly, as if it was a battle he had fought and lost several times. "I know you were. Your friends told me. But what did we say last time."

He pulled back so that he could watch her face. She ducked her head and refused to meet his gaze as she replied, "If it's dangerous, we should call an adult."

"That's right."

"But Dad, the kitten was going to fall in. There wasn't time."

The bearded man opened his mouth to respond but Antheia beat him to it. "I am sorry to interrupt, father of Ellie. Perhaps we should have this conversation to somewhere out of the elements. The children will catch a chill if we linger."

As if to make her point, a breeze brushed past causing both children to shiver. Even Antheia let loose a delicate shudder.

The man startled, his gaze lifting to Antheia. And then his eyes widened as her finally took in the beautiful figure standing before him.

Though worse for wear, after her dip in the river, there was something extraordinary about the woman. Or perhaps that was just the clothing. She was dressed strangely, strips of green fabric clinging to her curvaceous form. It was as if she had stepped out of some fantasy book. With a flowers threaded through her damp hair, she could have been a wood nymph or a wingless faerie. Something otherworldly. Even her manner exuded something other - not bad, just different. Little did he realise just how right that assumption was.

"You saved them?"

Antheia nodded her head. "It was my duty."

If he found her response odd, he ignored it. Instead, he smiled. "Thank you. I will forever be in your debt."

"No thanks are needed."

He rubbed at the back of his neck. "Well, at least come and join us for dinner. I'm sure we can get you some dry clothes too unless you're camped nearby."

"You have my thanks. It would be my honour to break bread with you."

He raised an eyebrow before shrugging his shoulders. "Uh, okay. Sounds great." He lifted his daughter into his arms. "Just follow me, we're not far from the camp site. You'll be warm and fed in no time."

**

The bedraggled group made their way back into camp twenty minutes later, drawing curious glances from the people they passed. Ellie rested her cold damp cheek against her Dad's, her eyes blinking slowly as she fought off sleep. The young boy remained quiet at Antheia's side, his grip tight around her hand. She felt his eyes staring at her time to time. On one such occasion, she met his gaze.

"Speak your question, young one."

Joey glanced at Ellie and her father walking a few paces ahead before he whispered, "Are you really a magical princess? "

Antheia's lips curled up into a smile. "No, child. I am not a princess."

"Are you sure?"

"Quite sure, young one."

"But you did magic. I saw it."

Antheia leaned down and whispered, "Can you keep a secret?" He nodded fervently. "I am a goddess. The daughter of Zeus."

"Like The Cat in the Hat? We read that at school."

"No, child. I have never heard of a cat in a hat. It sounds most peculiar." Antheia shook her head. "Zeus was a God, one of the most powerful to ever exist."