The First Day

I walk into this huge firehouse. I look around and see this huge, Texan guy. He's totally really just a big teddy bear. "Hi, you must be the new probie?" He says. "Yeah. That's me," I say. "I'm Judd. Nice to meet you," he says, shaking my hand. "Same to you," I say. I see a man walk down the stairs. "Everyone! In the kitchen!" He yells. Everyone runs to the kitchen. "This is the new probie," he says. Wait.. I know his face from somewhere.. "Hi," I say with a smile. "Marjan Marwani," she says with a smile. "Mateo Chavez," he says, shaking my hand. He's a hyper one. "Paul Strickland," the man standing by a pot says. "Captain Owen Strand," he says with a smile. Strand? Like.. "Tommy Vega," a woman says. "Nancy Gillain," another says. "Nice to meet you all, I'm Yn," I say with a smile. "Cap, someone is sleeping on the job," Marjan says, pointing to the man on the couch in a hoodie. He walks over and wakes him up. "Hey. The new probie is here," he says. The guy gets up and walks over. "Nice to meet you, I'm Tk Strand," He says, rubbing his eyes. "Yn," I say with a smile. "Yn?" He suddenly perks up as a puppy who just saw a treat. "How have you been?" He asks. "Pretty good, actually. Just reached a year," I say with a nervous smile. "That's great!" He says. "So how do you two know each other?" Marjan asks. I mean, it's not like I'll be able to hide it forever. So I might as well get it over with. I look at him, and he nods. "We um.. we met while we were both.. doing drugs.." I say. "Well, if you ever need to talk to anyone, we're all here," Tommy says with a smile. I like this place. I feel like I'm gonna fit in here. Marjan is about to put her finger in the pot, but Paul smacks it away. "No. It's not done yet," he says. She sticks her tongue out at him.

The alarm rings, and I jump. The one downside of being a firefighter. The loud noises. Hopefully, I don't have a panic attack one of these days. A car and a semi hauling oil. Wow. That's bad. "Chavez, Yln, you keep the people away until the cops get here. This thing could blow any second," he says. "Right," we both say. "Get back. Everyone needs to stay behind the line," Mateo says. "Behind the line, sir," I say. "My son is in the car!" He yells. He's trying to run past me. "Hey, if you distract them, the danger of something happening increases. So why don't you let them work on getting them out of the car with no distractions?" I say calmly. "Right..." he says, backing up. That actually worked? How? They get the kid out and put him on the gurney. "Yln, tell the dad to come over," Nancy radios in. "He's over there with the paramedics. You can go with them," I say. He runs over to the kid. We all get in the truck. "That was really amazing, you two," Cap says. "Yeah, how did you keep the dad back?" Mateo asks. "Told him the truth," I say. "Which was?" Marjan asks. "That if you guys are distracted, there's a bigger danger of something happening," I say. "You have a calming personality," Paul says.

We get back, and someone walks in. A tall, Latin, kinda hot, cop. "I heard there was lunch?" He says. "Hey baby," Tk says, kissing him. Tk got a boyfriend who's actually nice to him? It's a miracle. "Hi, I'm Yn," I say, holding out my hand. "Carlos, nice to meet you," he says, shaking it. "Okay, lunch is served!" Paul says, breaking the awkward silence. We start eating. "Oh my gosh.." I say. "What?" Judd asks. "Why are you all putting corn chips in chili?" I ask. "I know, right?" Paul says. "Oh, come on, you gotta try it before you can judge it," Marjan says. "Nah, I think I'll pa-," I say. Tk sticks one in my mouth. Dang it, why is it good? What the heck. "It's good, though, isn't it?" Marjan says. "It.. surprisingly is.." I say. "Oh come onnnn," Paul says. I like.. no, I love this place.. they feel like a family..