Chapter 12

Alyssa and Baelon talk, she decides they might need a new start. The next night Alyssa and Baelon spy on someone and things get a little out of hand. I hope you guys like it. 🥰

                                                            Alyssa Targaryen (16 years old

                                                            Alyssa Targaryen (16 years old.)

                                                    Baelon Targaryen (27 years old

                                                    Baelon Targaryen (27 years old.)

Alyssa could admit that Baelon confused her. She had spent so much time trying to hate him, that she had pushed to the back of her mind all the qualities that had made her fall in love with him. Baelon could be incredibly sweet and thoughtful, he had always spent time teaching her all kinds of things and making her feel included. She had been so worried about the horrible things he had said that she had forgotten about the things that made him great. She smiled looking at the book on the bed, it was Baelon's latest gift. From the first time she had read Wonders Made by Men, she had been obsessed with seeing the impressive sights. One night after reading her the book for the hundredth time Baelon had told her that the same writer had written another book called Wonders, which recorded seven natural wonders of the known world. Alyssa had begged for the book, but Baelon had told her there were very limited copies of the book. After noticing how sad she was about it, he had promised to look for one of the copies and buy it for her. When they had returned to the house earlier today he had gifted her the book. He had found a copy of the book while he had been traveling the free cities and purchased it for her. He had been waiting for moons to give her the book but did not know if she would accept it.
When he had given her the flowers he had been hopeful that things would be well and decided to give her the mirror. Then she had gotten upset, and he had decided to hold back before giving her the book. She ran her hands over the cover. Baelon had left not too long after giving her the book, saying he needed to keep an eye on Martyn Hightower. Alyssa had heard him come in almost an hour ago but did not know how to approach him. What could she say? It was like she had almost forgotten how to speak to him. She wanted to start things over with him once more, find a way back to him. While it was true he had hurt her, it was also true he had been trying to apologize since he had returned to Kings Landing. She needed to listen to him, it did not mean she would immediately open herself up to him or trust him so easily again, but she could try and make things easier for him.
Alyssa picked up the book, running a hand over the cover once more. She could start now, he had taken the first step, he had actually taken the first few hundred steps, she could take at least one. She walked out of her chambers and headed towards Baelon's, she stood by the door and took a deep breath before knocking. A few seconds went by and then the doors opened. Alyssa's eyes widened when Baelon came into view, he must have just finished taking a bath because his hair was still wet, and he was not wearing a tunic.
"Alyssa?" His look was questioning. "Is something the matter?"
"No," Now that she was here she was feeling a bit nervous. "I wanted to ask you for a favor."
"Of course." His smile was sweet. "What do you need?"
"I was wondering if you would like to read this with me?" She lifted the book so he could see it. "It would be just like when I was a child."
"I would love to." Baelon stepped aside, letting her into the chambers. "You are always welcome."
Alyssa smiled and stepped inside, taking a deep breath as he closed the doors. She sat on one of the lounge chaises that was facing the balcony. Both hers and Baelon's chambers were facing the same side, which give them a magnificent view of the river. Baelon sat on the empty space next to her and she handed him the book. He looked at the book and then back at her.
"You want me to read it?"
"Yes," She gave him a mischievous smile. "You have a very calming voice."
"I do?" His smile was now amused. "Is that why you would make me read to you when you were a child? Sometimes for hours?"
"No, well not entirely. Making you read to me was a way to keep you with me for longer."
Baelon's eyes widened, he appeared not to know what to say. She did not know if he was surprised because he did not know what her reasons had been or because she had admitted it. Her mother had told her once that forgiveness was not about the person who had hurt you, but about freeing oneself from all that weight. She also said that weak people were the ones that were not able to forgive, and that forgiveness was an attribute of the strong. At the time Alyssa had not wanted to listen, she believed that her mother was just trying to make her forgive Baelon so he could return to Westeros. She had not realized all the weight she had placed on herself while making herself hate her brother. Baelon had made a mistake, and it was true that he had hurt her. But that did not mean she had to hold it against him forever. She needed to find a way to forgive him, not for him, but for her, to get rid of all the extra weight she was carrying around.
"Did you really believe I was ugly?"
"What?"
"When you said those things three years ago." Baelon swallowed. "I will not be upset, I promise. I just need to understand."
"I did not think you were ugly. You were a bit awkward looking, but that was just because you were still a child, still growing. Your body was just finding its way into itself." Baelon placed the book down in between them, then looked at her. "I knew you would be a beauty once you grew up. You had the same features as our mother and Alyssa, and they are two of the most beautiful women in Westeros. You just needed a few years."
"Then why did you say those things?"
"Because I was afraid and I latched out, I believed in a way I wanted you to hate me." Alyssa gave him a confused look. "When you were little you insisted you would wed me one day, you made me promise to wait for you, and I did because I believed you would meet a man one day and forget about me. But as you grew you refused to pay attention to anyone else, and you kept insisting you would wed me one day. I did not feel that way about you, but you would not take no for an answer. I did not want you to waste your time waiting for me, I had no idea if I would ever return your feelings, and I did not want you to be even more hurt if I was never able to see you the way you wanted me to."
"So you believed the solution was to push me away?"
"Yes, but to be honest I did not plan to take it that far, or for you to leave." He ran a hand over his face. "You took me by surprise that day, and I just reacted. I was frustrated and in a way blamed you for not understanding my position. For a moment I forgot you were just a child and did not measure the pain I would bring you. For that, I am sorry."
"I never tried to see things from your point of view." Alyssa placed her arm on the back of the chaise, resting her chin on it. "In my head, all that mattered was that I was sure we were meant to be together. I used to believe you were my gift from the gods."
"I do not think anyone but our parents ever believed I was a gift." Baelon let out a laugh. "The day you were born I was flying with Rhaegon, but I decided to take a different route back home. By the time I arrived mama had already given birth, of course, I did not know this. I did not even make it to my chambers before our father found me. He clapped me on the back and said I have a gift for you."
"He did?" Alyssa could not help but smile.
"Yes," Baelon was also smiling. "He took me to our mother's chambers and placed you in my arms. You were so small and so beautiful I could not stay away, so I would go to see you every single day. Mama found it endearing, but Papa was not so amused by it."
"Yes, because, unlike other families, we have to worry about family members."
"Yes," Baelon was quiet for a moment, just staring at her. "I know I have said it before but I am deeply before for the things I said and the pain I caused."
"I know." Alyssa's smile was gentle. "How about we start once more? We can start as siblings, build our trust once again, and become friends."
"I would like that."
Baelon caressed the side of her face, his touch was warm and comforting. It was everything she remembered from when she was a child.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************