I pulled on a white sweater and black leggings, finishing my outfit with a pair of tattered sneakers. I wanted to wear a little less, but then how would I cover up my body? I just had to endure the heat for now, I guess.

I left my hair down as I usually did and walked to school. It was a long journey, and a painful one, with my fresh wounds from yesterday. The minute I stepped into the school, cruel whispers filled my ears.

"Oh look, there's the emo kid."

"My god, why does she dress like that?"

"I pity her so much."

Of course, not everyone was participating in this, only the mean girls in school. I have no idea why they've had it in for me since Day 1. I went to my locker and got my books out, but they were shoved onto the ground, obviously by Keira the queen bee.

"Hey whore, watch where you're going!"

I bit my lip and picked up my books. The rest of the day was normal aside from the bullying. Lucky me, I always had at least a few girls who hated me in every class, so there were always things being thrown at me and people calling me names.

I couldn't take it anymore. I know that it's unbearable for people to look at me, and that's my fault. But I can't live with this anymore. I decided to run away. If only I could run away from myself too...

-

I packed my bags and reached under my bed for the box containing a few thousand dollars from the pocket money my brother used to give me until he left and the babysitting I used to do. I fled the house before Dad came back from the pub and headed towards the nearest airport. Not long after, I was seated in a plane headed for America.

"Miss? Please wake up, we've arrived at our destination." I heard a gentle voice beside me and woke up. I rubbed my eyes in confusion, and stared at the kind air stewardess. Oh right! I'm now in America. Quickly, I picked up my bag, gave her a thankful smile, and left.

It was 9pm, and I wandered around the streets before spotting a motel. I paid for a room and decided to crash for the night before looking for a permanent place to stay tomorrow.

-

I woke up refreshed, and decided that today I was going to get a move on. I packed up my things and left. Soon enough, I spotted a place for rent. I spent the morning doing some shopping - mainly groceries and school supplies. I would be starting at the local school tomorrow.

I went back to the apartment, bored out of my mind. I couldn't believe I was finally starting a new life. Dad must be absolutely furious. I shuddered at the thought. My brother must have felt this way too, the wonderful adrenaline of being free. Thinking about him reminded me of the note he had left behind.

Dear sis, I had to leave. I had to find a new life for myself. I couldn't stay on living with him. I'll come back for you soon. Just wait for me. Love, your brother. He didn't come back. He didn't. It had already been three years. 1095 days. I had trusted him, for that little amount of time, until even that small glimpse of hope was crushed by my dad's hand. What does he look like now? What is he doing? Where is he living? Questions plagued me day and night. I was no longer filled with bitter disappointment, but with longing for my brother.

I couldn't even remember the days when he would hold my hand as we went out to play in the garden, when he took the blows for me, when he grew stronger and fought back for me. Had he forgotten me? I hadn't forgotten him. Every year on his birthday at midnight, I would still buy a cake and blow out the candles, wishing him a happy birthday and hoping that he could hear me over the continents. Pretending that I wasn't alone, pretending that I was alright.

I lifted up my sleeve and stared at the raised scars on my wrist. I had tried not to. I had tried to stay clean, be strong, but how could I do that when I was all alone?

Starting school so soon was a huge step I had to take. I was a bit uneasy interacting with strangers; I have very bad people skills, but I needed an education for a future.

I could barely speak two sentences without stuttering; flinching was a natural instinct whenever someone so much as brushed past me. I have anxiety attacks too. But I need to think positively. Tomorrow would be a new start. Nobody would find out about my past.

Well, hopefully.

-

I woke up to the beeping of my alarm clock. Rubbing my eyes in confusion, I wondered where the heck I was, and the events of the past few days flashed through my mind. I smiled a little, realizing that I was free to make my own choices from now on. I walked to my wardrobe and put on a pair of high-waisted jeans and a pink hoodie that ended at my waist. I was used to wearing long-sleeved shirts wherever I went to hide my scars and bruises.

I left for school. On my way, I received a text.

You fucking idiot. Do you think I'm fucking stupid? I know you're in America. I know your exact address. I know everything. You can NEVER escape.

-I'm coming for you.

All of the air whooshed out of my lungs. My eyes desperately scanned the screen which was now shaking uncontrollably. How long would it take for him to be here? How long before I started to live that horrible life again? A silent tear slipped down my cheek.