"But I'm wearing Rouge," Maddie said, holding the golden chain of Isa's necklace, refusing to meet her eyes.

"Rigo, our baby is in love," Isabela said, rejoining her husband and son at the table, "Querido get down from there," Carlos was sitting on his father's shoulders, convinced when Maddie came back she might not be able to find him.

"No, no, I won't allow it,"

"Papi, but I love him," Maddie said,

"Prohibido, mi amada,"

Maddie's eyes widened and watered,

"No, papi," She looked to where the boy was,

"Bella, give me my other baby," He set Carlos on one knee and had Maddie on the other, giving Isabela a chance to eat her food uninterrupted. "Carlos, what do you think of this?"

"Lena es tonta," Carlos proclaimed, Maddie gasped,

"Papi,"

"Be nice, Carlos,"

"Lena, I found a lizard today. I love lizards. You cannot ruin today with some guy."

"I found that lizard," Maddie said, "Mamí, Carlos is spreading lies,"

"I am not."

They chattered about nonsense. Hiding beneath the table to play with their new lizard.

Madelena Noceda was fifteen years old the first time a boy ever told her he loved her.

Aleksander had been taller than her. His shoulders were broad and strong, his eyes bright and blue, and his hands always found hers.

It had been amidst the sweet July heat, the night of her quinceñera. Maddie had not known Aleksander had stayed. Her Abuela had gone to shout at her Abuelita, and Carlos was attempting to prevent a homicide.

Maddie's cheeks were stained with glittering tears and she had torn her mother's white dress. She had been in a mirror-lined corridor at the venue.

"Madelena," His voice startled her, she wiped her cheeks before she faced him, she turned to him, Aleksander put a hand to his heart, "You take my breath away,"

Maddie exhaled, a vain smile tugging at her lips,

"So beautiful," He continued,

"Thank you." Maddie said, his suit was impeccable, "Did Abuela put you in that?"

"Yes. She frightens me." He explained, her white glove had fallen to the ground, and he picked it up for her. He took her hand and delicately pulled her glove back on. He kept her hand in his when he was done, "I am so happy to see you, Madelena. I missed you."

"I-"

Her hand was in both of his,

"You are upset, why?"

"My abuelita can be-" Maddie shook her head, her grandmother was merely grieving the daughter who had gifted Maddie with every ounce of her beauty down to her spectacular dark brown eyes. "She sees my mother when she looks at me. Is painful for her. I understand."

"You do not have to understand. You do not have to be sad. This is day for you." Aleksander said, sometimes Maddie wished she could read his mind. She wished there was another language the pair of them shared. There was not. And there would never be.

He was older than her.

"You graduated," Maddie said, eyes flickering down, "I thought you had another year,"

"My brilliance becomes me."

"And you are so humble,"

"Is only thing I am not good at. Because I am great at it."