Year One

Kings Cross station was loud

Theo was bushed through the crowd, his father's hand on his shoulder pushing him forward. His mind felt foggy as he tried to process it all.

He was tempted to shout at an infant for crying. The shrill sound cutting through the jabber of muggles preventing Theo from being able to focus on the numbers of the platforms as he neared platform nine and three quarters.

Theo clutched at the handles of his trolley pushing his Hogwarts trunk ahead of him. His father's owl caged and teathered to the suitcase was glaring at him. As though he needed more scrutiny today.

"You dropped this." Called someone. A girl, she looked like she was in first year too. It was rather evident she was a witch.

She was holding a map of muggle London, her hair was in two braids, curls loose around her face, she had a different accent. Theo had never heard it before.

"He did not." Said Feodore Nott coldly, tugging the map from the young witch's grasp. "Did you?"

Theo shook his head. Lying. He had been curious, and his father had confiscated his favourite book

"Sorry," Said the girl, her brown eyes- she had rather deep brown eyes, Theo would describe them the same way he would the bark of an oak tree- her eyes were wide in fear. "I made a mistake, Sir."

"Yes, well. Don't." Said Feodore coldly, his hand tightening on Theo's shoulder. He turned harshly, continuing to push Theo ahead of him.

"Can I have it back then?" Said the girl. Feodore didn't respond merely dropping the map on the ground for her to pick up.

Theo looked over his shoulder before his head was forced forward by magic.

He looked up to his father.

"I swear to Merlin, were your grandmother not so against Durmstrang." Murmured Feodore. "I would not have my son exposed to such filth."

The whistle of a train rang out snapping Theo from his thoughts, he was dangerously close to the platform.

To the brick wall that promised a life beyond the Nott Estate. Beyond his father's reach.

The girl and her family passed them. Not sparing a glance. Theo felt jealous that she had gotten taken to the platform by her grandmother while his had only given him a hug at the door and turned him over to his father.

Smoke from a train filled the air as they finally reached the brick wall. Theo's breath caught in his throat. He wondered if Blaise was already here.

"Go on." Said Feodore not a hint of encouragement in his voice. Irritation filled it instead. The low rumble of his voice was rather easy to hear and the rest of the station felt quiet in comparison. A pit formed in Theo's stomach as he failed to move his feet.