Amani lowered her gaze even further, this time to hide her smile.

When she told Reema about the interaction, her cousin frowned in confusion. "Auntie said thatand you are sulking for it?"

"It's not that I'm sulking over. I feel like I've suddenly brought so many problems to Auntie's household. People are talking badly of me but they don't know me so I'm not as hurt by it as she may be. They're people she's lived with her entire life," Amani sat straight on the bed and fixed the blanket over her legs.

"And if they believe what's being said about her niece and her family, then it's a good thing she no longer speaks to them. Tests like these reveal people's true colors, you know," Reema picked up the grapes Auntie had washed and brought for the two of them. "I know Auntie may be a little sad or upset but once all the emotions of the moment fade, I think she'll be thankful all of this happened."

Amani shrugged. "Maybe."

"Have you spoken to your father?"

She nodded. "Two days ago."

Reema took another handful of grapes, dropping three into her mouth then deciding to speak. "And how did it go?" She asked before crunching the fruit between her teeth.

"I told him I wanted to go back, that I didn't like it here anymore because people were causing problems for me. She didn't tell him exactly what, but I think Auntie had explained why I was upset before I spoke to him. He said he would think about it," Amani watched her cousin. "Are you a starving child? Why are you filling your mouth with so many grapes you can barely breathe?"

She only shrugged. "They taste the best this way. Anyway, are you still upset with Yasmeen?"

Amani sat back against the wall. "Upset? I don't know. I'm not going to be talking to the girl any time soon, though. In fact, I'd be happy never seeing her face around me at- ow!" She held her arm after Reema seized it excitedly then shoved Amani back, her wide grin contrasting against Amani's pained pout. "What was that for?"

"You should want to see her face again!"

"Why would I want that?"

"Because! Didn't you hear?" Reema exclaimed happily. "Didn't you hear what happened after you completely humiliated yourself by falling in that mud? Oh, Amani, it was the best thing! I came out into the balcony when I heard the ruckus. You and Muhsin were walking away and you should have seen her face! She was so red, her eyes looked like they could have exploded from their sockets."

Amani tried not to smile at the image forming in her head. Yasmeen had gone from looking at her with mocking pity and sneering with her friends to fuming once Muhsin had stepped in. "Was she?"

Reema clapped her hands but dropped her voice in a whisper. "That isn't even the best part I need to tell you about."

"It gets better?" Amani snorted sarcastically.

"Apparently Abu Rayan heard from someone about what his daughter had been saying about you at the night prayer and Yasmeen's been grounded ever since. The actual best part is this: when I was coming back from the market that night, Abu Rayan was walking out with none other than your bread boy himself."

Amani's sarcasm slipped away. "Muhsin?"

Reema nodded. "I mean, there were a few other men walking together so I couldn't really see, but I'm almost eighty percent sure that he was the one who told him. Can you imagine? Muhsin, the guy Yasmeen's been pining after, got her in trouble for spreading gossip about the girl she thinks is a threat to her and Muhsin—you!"