Chapter 9: Tear Stained Sheets

Gwen had woken up in a coldsweat. Her anxiety was through the roof, she tried every technique her former therapist taught her, but nothing worked. Life just got too overwhelming for her to handle. She just wanted to disappear. But at the same time, she felt humiliated that she had a fear so childish to some people at her age. "Gwen?" A voice whispered. Gwen bit her lip to stop the tears from forming, but it was too late. David was already there seeing her in the middle of a severe panic attack. She locked eyes with him, which made her even more anxious. "Gwen are you ok?" David asked, Gwen could barely speak, so she just shook her head. He walked towards the bed slowly and sat next to his distressed co-worker. Gwen tried to distance herself farther away from David, but there was only so much room on a small twin bed that one could move to. "Gwen..." David said softly, reaching his hand out. "I want to help you." Gwen looked conflicted at first, but she finally gave in and sat next to David. 

He tried helping her out of the panic attack, and while some of his techniques seemed to work, a lot were ineffective. "I'll be right back, ok?" David said. "I just need to get something." Gwen nodded as she knew David was doing his best to help her. He reached under his bed and pulled out a totebag. "I originally bought this for the campers in case any of them were having a panic attack similar to yours." David said, opening the totebag and pulling out what looked to be an ordinary throw blanket. "I-I've already got my own, thank you." Gwen said, clutching onto the throw blanket she had wrapped around her. "Just try it, Gwen." David said softly. Gwen let her guard down and grabbed the blanket David handed her. She wrapped it around her while David sat next to her. David watched the counselor close her eyes as she sat there next to him. "It feels... Heavy..." Gwen said. "Well, yeah. It's a weighted blanket." David replied. "These are designed to help calm people during a panic attack." Gwen looked at the counselor. "Well...It sure is working." She admitted before taking a sigh of relief. "...Can I get you anything else?" David asked, Gwen just shook her head. David contemplated on whether or not he should ask about what triggered the attack, seeing as Gwen is a bit less jaded than Max. "So.... What happened?" He finally asked.

Gwen stared at David, biting her lip to prevent the tears from falling. Until she couldn't take it anymore and confessed to him about everything. The appointment, why she had been so distant from everyone else. This explained everything to him, the sleepless nights, the mild panic attack a few nights ago, mood swings. It was all clear to him. "Why didn't you tell me this sooner, Gwen?" David asked. "Because I didn't want you to think differently of me." Gwen stuttered in between sobs. David pulled his friend in close. "Nothing you could say would ever make me think any differently of you." He whispered, Gwen holding onto him for dear life. "I...Almost cancelled my appointment yesterday." She confessed. "Part of me wishes I did, but something inside me just wants me to get it over with..." David raised an eyebrow "How long has it been since you've seen a doctor?" He questioned. "Uhhhhh not since I started working here." Gwen confessed, not feeling too proud of herself. "...You haven't been to a doctor in 7 YEARS?!" David exclaimed, Gwen putting her hand over his mouth as Max began to stir. "Keep your fucking voice down!" Gwen gritted her teeth. She turned to Max and heard a couple whimpers from him, indicating he was scared that they were arguing. "It's ok, Max. We're not fighting. Just go back to sleep, ok?" Gwen whispered, sharing some of David's weighted blanket with Max. 

"So... What day is your appointment again?" David said softly. "...Today at 4:00." Gwen admitted, feeling a bit scared. "How about I take you." David offered, Gwen's eyes widened. "Given these past few days, I don't think I have the energy to drive." Gwen replied, accepting his offer to drive her to the appointment. David pulled Gwen away, having their eyes meet. "Your fear is completely valid, Gwen. I hope you know that now..." He said, wiping one last tear from her face. "...Thanks David." Gwen replied. She climbed back into her bed and laid next to Max. "Is it ok if I keep this, by the way?" She asked, pointing to the weighted blanket. "Of course!" David replied. "I could always order another one anytime." He proceeded to return to his own bed and Gwen turned off the light on her nightstand. "Goodnight David... And thank you. For everything." Gwen said, "Anytime." David said. Both of them fell asleep after that.