Chapter 3: Sleeping Is Torture

Gwen rarely ever had any sleepless nights. But this time, it was different. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't sleep. She tried to make sure not to wake Max either since he could be a light sleeper at times. One could argue that it was the snoring she commented on earlier, but that seemed to have died down as hours passed. She wouldn't fall asleep until at LEAST 4:30 in the morning. But even then she only got a very small amount of sleep. 

8:30am

Gwen could feel someone shaking her gently. "Gwen." Someone whispered. The first think she could think to do was shield her face with a blanket, but the other person quickly removed it from her. "Come on, Gwen. You should've been up 30 minutes ago." Said David, trying to wake her up. "Just 5 more minutes..." Gwen mumbled. "You said that 5 times already." David replied. Gwen finally started to open her bloodshot eyes, David almost jumping at the sight. "I know. I know." Gwen yawned. "See why I wanted more sleep?" David didn't wanna come off as rude, so he asked what was wrong. "I just... Didn't sleep well last night." Gwen admitted. "Why? You sick?" David asked, causing Gwen to tense up. "N-No. It's something else." She stuttered, but flinched as the more she got anxious, the worse her migraine got. "Look, David. My head is throbbing, I only slept for a measly 4 hours, can I PLEASE just have the day off?" Gwen begged. David saw just how critical of a condition she was in and allowed it. "I'll wake up the kids." David said before closing the curtains to make sure the room was extra dark and left the cabin.

Meanwhile, Max was waiting by the unlit campfire. He really didn't have anything better to do. Life had honestly been even more boring than usual with the cast on. But he enjoyed other people signing it. "Goooooooooooooooood morning, Max!" David greeted as he approached the campground. "Sup, camp man." Max replied. "...Where's Gwen?" David furrowed his eyebrows. "She isn't feeling well today." David replied. Neil peaked his head out of the tent. "Is it CONTAGIOUS?!" He panicked. "No no. She just needs rest for now." David said. The counselor had the kids follow him to the mess hall for breakfast. But Max couldn't help but worry. Gwen was someone who actually helped him in a time of need, and something inside him just had him feeling concerned, which was oddly out of character. He managed to channel it out.... for a while. 

4:30pm

All throughout the day, no matter what he did, it just kept coming back. Just before the afternoon activity ended, Max pulled David aside. "I need to use the bathroom. I'll meet you guys at the mess hall in a little bit." Max said. David, knowing Max's true intentions, let him go.

Gwen woke up wrapped in her bedsheets, her headache was gone, and the room was pitch black. "Did the power go out?" She thought before grabbing a flashlight on her nightstand. She got out of bed and couldn't even make it to the door before tripping over something and luckily landing on David's bed. "Shit..." She said under her breath before finally noticing why it was so dark. David had closed the curtains to keep any light from beaming in her face. "No need for these to be shut anymore." Gwen said before getting ready to open the curtains. As she was about to open them, a HUGE beam of light came in, practically blinding her. "WHAT THE FUCK, DAVID!" Gwen hissed before noticing it WASN'T David who opened the door, it was Max. "...Max? Aren't you supposed to be with the other campers?" She asked. "...Don't tell anybody this. But I was worried about you." Max confessed, scratching at his cast. Gwen took his hand away from the cast. "So why haven't you been at camp today?" Max asked. "Didn't sleep good." Gwen confessed. Max looked her in the eye and noticed that Gwen looked a lot more drained than she usually would be. But he didn't say anything. "So...You gonna come to the mess hall?" He questioned. "I think I'm gonna stay here for the time being." Gwen replied. "Don't tell your little friends this, but David and I already have pre packaged meals in the mini fridge." She whispered. Max nodded and left the cabin.

9:30pm

David walked into the cabin to see Max watching Gwen writing her latest fanfiction. She didn't say what the plot was about just yet, but she looked content. "Gooooood evening, Gwen!" David greeted, trying not to startle her. "Oh. Hey, David." Gwen said, setting down her pencil. "Feeling any better?" David asked. "Well... My migraine is gone at least." Gwen replied. "I'll see if I can actually get some sleep tonight." She admitted before picking her pencil back up and continuing to write. 20 minutes past and Gwen finally finished her chapter. She set her notebook on her nightstand and finally went to bed, not even saying goodnight to David since he was already reading an E-Book and the fact that she was just too tired to speak to anybody. So she turned off the lamp on her night stand and unlike the previous night, fell asleep. Gwen would finally catch up on the hours of sleep she lost. Until...