Prologue (Euphemia): Out Of Danger

One minute is an eternity when bullets are flying in what seems like a never-ending barrage. The noise, the screams, the shouts, the smoke, the crying, the utter chaos. When the silence comes, it takes a few moments to register that the threat has subsided, for your body to start responding.

I looked over and saw my man starting to move, his body covering...Angelica's. Of course. When the first sh0t came, the brothers were yelling Get down! as the bullets started coming hard and fast. Rogue was heading toward me, I thought.

But it was Angelica, standing near me, who he took to the ground. And now, Rogue leaned back to look over her, his breathing harsh, his body still poised to protect. Her.

Not me.

Then he noticed the blood on her arm.

"Oh, shit, Angelica!"

Ripping her sleeve away, Rogue examined the wound before scooping her up into his arms. "Gotta get you to the hospital, Gel."

As he started to leave, she looked back at me, held close in my man's arms.

And she smiled right at me.

They were out the door seconds later, and he hadn't even thought to look for me, to check on me, to see if I was OK.

Turns out, I wasn't.

Angelica's arm wound turned out to be a through-and-through in the fleshy part of her arm, not life-threatening in the least. My wound was much, much worse. Life-threatening, the doctors said. But I didn't hear them say that until two days later, after I was out of danger because right after Rogue left with Angelica, I passed out.

Rapid blood loss will do that to you.