In the grip of the spider

The truth is strengthened by light and time, the lie instead by haste and uncertainty.

Tacitus.

Blurred and off-centre voices.

All they could hear was the crack of their fingers on their uniforms.

She, seized by hidden schizophrenia, was incredulous that he was corporeal, not like in her visions.

He, anchored to her with an embrace, squeezing her more and more, punishing himself for the pain that he would soon cause her.

Disunited by astonishment, Ron and Hermione had remained calcified by that scene; after a few moments, they unlocked.

Harry gave them space;

Hermione grabbed her face, tracing the long scar that furrowed her cheek.

Chills at the memory; the Cruciatos curse, the ropes, the dagger in the belly.

"What have they done to you," Hermione murmured grimly.

Silence, just an oppressive silence.

"Can I say hello too?" Ron asked jokingly.

He approached her:

- Welcome home -

The girl's lips curled imperceptibly.

The red-headed broke the ice hugging her, realizing how glacial she was.

- We'll take you to the dorm, Hermione and I have a private room. You have to see it!-

- All right- she answered, pronouncing the first words since her arrival.

She started to pick up her saddlebag from the ground.

Her hand touched Harry's: looking into her eyes again, the boy tried to understand what had hardened her gaze, in vain.

"I'll take it," he said.

- Thanks -

"Can you guide us, Ron?" Hermione asked cheerfully.

- I'll be your Cicero, Kay -

- Oh, since when did you know something about him? Proud of you- answered the curly-haired, in an attempt to unleash a laugh on her friend's face.

In a single file: Ron ahead, the two immediately behind him and Harry last, absorbed in his thoughts.

Hermione grabbed the girl's hand:

- Everything OK?-

- Let's not talk about me, how are you? -

She had no intention of mentioning anything of her vision because she didn't even know she could perceive them.

Not even she knew that she had the gift of foresight.

- I am fine. I haven't had time to tell you but Dumbledore makes me take unicorn blood, just like you said in your letter a few days ago-

-I'm glad it's working-

- You don't seem very enthusiastic...-

-I'm just exhausted-

She looked her up and down; it was true, she looked like an exhausted rag, yet that gash on her face seemed to tell her something more.

"Here we are, Hermione," he motioned for her to open the door.

- Welcome to my humble abode- said the curly-hair smiling

- I see you've made a big leap in quality - said Kaytlyn looking around the room.

A second bed.

A pair of Harry's old shoes on top of it.